2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Advice on a Dakota purchase. All advice welcome.

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 12:01 AM
jaknell1011
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on a Dakota purchase. All advice welcome.

My wife and I just recently purchased a home, and it is time for me to get rid of the compact and get a truck. I have been looking for a truck that can be versatile, still carry multiple passengers (children in my semi-near future), and be able to handle the small home improvement jobs of a homeowner. For example we are looking into purchasing new toilets/vanities for the house and a Honda Civic doesn't hold 2 vanities

The truck will not be driven very far at all, and will not be our primary source of transportation for anything other than me getting to work and back home (round trip 6 miles) for my 9-5 job.

I have found this truck nearby and am wondering what you think.

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...&&aff=national

It has high mileage but again it will only get about 2500-3000 miles yearly. I am not in a hurry, so please be honest as to whether this is a good buy or not. I have a trade in car with an estimated value of $2500 and I have about $500-1000 down payment. I consider myself to be a "shadetree mechanic" who isn't afraid to try the small to medium fixes. I am liking the thought of being able to pay this off quickly, but want to be sure I'm still being rational.

So what do you think?! Yay or nay? and why? What should I be looking for in terms of what maintenance has been done, what repairs, etc.?
Sorry for the novel, and any help is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by jaknell1011; 10-18-2011 at 12:07 AM.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:30 AM
chris1996
Veteran

it looks very nice in what to check... the paint if they do a bad job it will give you a huge pain in the ***.... another thing if it has a puddle on the passenger side it is a A/C obstructed... and it will bur your a/c motor resistor... not a big problem but it will leave you only in full power...

Old 10-18-2011, 11:00 AM
yellowjacket99
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're headed in the right direction as far as the quad cab V-8. Although for no more than what it sounds like you'll be using it for you could get away with a V-6. Not much difference in mileage though so may as well go with more power. I wouldn't say that truck is a great deal by any means, it might be an ok deal. You're going to get a better deal buying from a private party, but if you have to trade your current car in then you're stuck with the dealer mark up. Areas vary on value and cost, compare that one to a few others around at dealers if that's the route you have to go. I would think you could find a better deal though.

Old 10-18-2011, 11:01 AM
2000DakotaQuad
Professional

nice looking def worth the price. I have the same truck but a 2000 with much more miles so 178,000 is not bad. The tailgate is missing the dodge so I am assuming the repaited it which as said above if it a cheap paint job will be a pain in the ***. I am not sure where you are from bu here in FL the clear coat literally bakes off in the sun. Check the usual heater works (the didnt bypass the heater core, ac works, get under and check for leaks at trans pan and oil pan. My rack and pinnion leaked everywhere and I had to replace that. Then just drive and make sure it drives nice.......then check all the above again after you drive it.....dealers hate me because i look at everything twice

Old 10-18-2011, 11:24 AM
jaknell1011

Thanks for the advice so far!

I have heard about the problems with the passenger side leak problem, so I will be sure to check that out. Thanks for pointing out the new paint, I will be sure to go over that carefully.

I have heard things about transmission problems and u-joint problems with some Dodge trucks. Is this something I should be looking for, and what exactly should be warning signs with this model. Also, it seems like the high mileage doesn't seem like a deal breaker so far, is this true?

I'm glad to hear I'm on the right track, and I am getting excited about the truck, but I still want to be patient and rational, and keep reminding myself I can probably find another one if I don't get this one. Not being in a rush to get a truck right away is a nice convenience.

The thought of trading my Honda Civic in and putting $1000 down on this, effectively making it possible for me to pay this off in just a few months is really tempting though. Again thanks for any and all help!

Old 10-18-2011, 12:34 PM
bpark8824
Champion

The automatics trans for the 4.7 (45rfe) is much better than the transmissions that came with the other motors (42,44,46re). I don't think you'll have much problem with that trans. Obviously drive it and if it still shifts smooth I think you're alright.

That seems to be a good truck for what you're looking for. I think the price is a little high for it being 2wd and has higher miles on it. Look up the KBB value and see if it's atleast in the ball park. I don't think its really high but probably $500 or so high.

Overall it looks to be in a great shape for 178,000, and you will be glad you bought a quad cab with the 4.7. It's a great motor and very reliable.

In my experience, most of my problems have been suspension related but that's probably because of the roads I have to drive on up here though. Also a 4wd truck goes through ball joints much faster.

Old 10-18-2011, 01:59 PM
yellowjacket99
Professional
Old 10-18-2011, 04:05 PM
Bosgarage57
Amateur

Just an fyi Im in the Knoxville area looking for a truck, I've found a 97 quad cab with 80K miles on it and he wants 6G. Im trying to get it but if it falls through I'll let you know, maybe you can pursue it.

Old 10-18-2011, 04:08 PM
yellowjacket99
Professional

No such thing as a 1997 Dakota quad cab. 2000 was the first year for that.

Old 10-18-2011, 05:55 PM
Bosgarage57
Amateur

Originally Posted by yellowjacket99
No such thing as a 1997 Dakota quad cab. 2000 was the first year for that.
Sorry you are correct "club cab".

Quick Reply: Advice on a Dakota purchase. All advice welcome.