2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Vibration....can't figure it out

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 02:58 PM
04Dakota71
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration....can't figure it out

I have an 04' Dakota QuadCab 4X4. I just turned 60,000miles on it and have never had any problems. I noticed a slight vibration in the steering wheel the other week that I never felt before. It has predominately gotten worse over the past 2wks. It only happens when I step on the gas. I can be going 60miles an hour with it vibrating but as soon as I let off the gas it's as smooth as butter. I checked all of the suspension, tie-rods, ball joints etc... . My universal joints are good on the drive shaft...so that's not it. It only happens when I'm on the gas. I'm not pulling any codes at the shop and my check engine light is not on. My buddy thinks I may have a bad plug or wires but if that was it then it's missing like a machine gun at the higher rpm's. I don't feel a miss at idle speed. It's not a violent vibration but one that is definitely noticeable especially in a higher gear at lower rpm going up a hill.
The guy at Auto Zone says it may be my throttle sensor??? or possibly the start of tranny problems. He told me to take it out of overdive and see if it still vibrates and if it didn't then it was my tranny, but it stills vibrates in or out of overdrive. I'm shifting fine and I just don't feel that's the problem.
I'm at a loss....I need some help trying to figure this out. I don't want to start dumping money into this just shooting in the dark as to what the problem is. Can anyone shed some light on this?? Much appreciation...thanks.

Old 10-22-2011, 04:42 PM
crateampsrock
Veteran

It does sound to me like a misfire. Need to use a scanner and watch the datastream under misfire tests... It will misfire more under a load then at idle. Run a can of seafoam through it... $9 diag test...

Old 10-22-2011, 06:26 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My buddy bought plugs for his ram and they sold him the wrong ones. For 6 months couldnt figure out why after we did the full tune up a plentum gasket why it started. It would only do it when in o/d or if the truck was lugging in a gear. It was like a surge but didnt feel like a viberation coarse it had a 5in lift with 35's so might be different on a smaller truck. We thought it was the torque converter but I told him to take out the plugs he got and try autolite 3923's sure enough that fixed the problem. I would take a look at your plugs and see what they are like.

Old 10-28-2011, 01:44 PM
New 2 Dodge
Professional
Old 11-01-2011, 04:40 PM
04Dakota71

Hey guys...sorry it took me so long to get back. I changed the plugs, which needed to be done...they were sparked down to nubs!!! But no difference with the vibration. I just posted a new thread tonight. It is getting more and more noticeable as I drive. I had the rear end jacked up tonight and had my son work the back tires front to back as I laid under it and I am getting a strong "clunking" noise in my transfer case. I had the truck in park and still had alot of play in the wheels. I can get the same noise by grabbing the drive-shaft and twist it side to side. I hear a metal on metal "clunk" in the transfer case. Any ideas????

Quick Reply: Vibration....can't figure it out