2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

04' Transfer case noise????

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 04:24 PM
04Dakota71
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 04' Transfer case noise????

I wrote on here a couple weeks ago about a vibration that I was feeling that I couldn't pin point. I was advised to change my plugs to see if it was a rapid miss. I changed the plugs,(thank God I did because they were sparked down to a nub), but it didn't cure the vibration problem.
When I get going over 20mph I start to feel a vibration in my steering wheel. It is a steady but gentle vibration. I checked all the suspension and everything is good...no ball joints, tie-rods, etc... . As the weeks have gone on it feels like it is coming from beneath the middle of the driver/passenger. I jacked the truck up again tonight, I laid under the truck and had my son work my back tires from front to back while in park. First of all, while in park with the truck jacked up, my back tires move considerably front to back. I would think they should be pretty solid because it is in park. Anyway, while he was moving the tires for me I could hear a heavy "clunking" noise in my transfer case. Metal on metal. I can get the same noise by grabbing the drive shaft and twisting it from side to side. It looks to me like I have too much play in the transfer case.
Anyone got any thoughts on how to proceed from here. I don't want to take it to a shop until I know what is wrong with it and if I can fix it myself and save a couple beans that would be even better. Any insight would be much appreciated.

Old 11-02-2011, 12:21 AM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Im thinking bad u joints.

Old 11-02-2011, 03:19 PM
Phat Mike

what about the front drive shaft. mine was really gone.

Old 11-02-2011, 06:52 PM
04Dakota71

I stopped at Advance Auto Parts last night and there was a mechanic there buying parts. I got to talking to the guy behind the counter and the mechanic jumped into the conversation and shed alot of light on my problem. He also thinks it might be the u-joints. He said that sometimes when they first start going bad, visually everything looks good and sometimes they even look tight with no play, but once it starts turning that's when its noticeable that they need changed. I'll give it a shot this weekend and probably change both and see it it cures the vibration. The mechanic I talked to yapped my ear off for about a half hour. Very nice and informative. Told me...even showed me under my truck what to look for and how to fix it. He could have easily told me to bring it up to his shop and charge me for it. So if changing the u-joints don't fix it I'm gunna take it to him. I'll keep you posted.
Thanks for the replies.

Old 11-04-2011, 02:37 PM
jdweasel47

How many miles on veh? If high, I would put in a used junkyard transfer case. It is not yard with hand tools and you can buy a used one for $300 - $400. Cheaper than one car payment for a new truck.

Old 11-05-2011, 07:19 PM
04Dakota71

Just turned 60,000 miles on it. Changing u-joints tomorrow. Will let yinz know if it fixes it. Thanks for the replies.

Quick Reply: 04' Transfer case noise????