2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Chevy HHR fan and dccontrol controller

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011 | 12:49 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

Lol...

Old 11-10-2011 | 11:13 AM
spshultz
|
Professional

Just wanted to update.

So far so good. However, there is one thing I would have done differently and that is maybe purchased the fan from the junkyard. I say this because when the fan goes full on high speed which is almost nil during these colder months, one or more of the blades are out of balance and so there is a high speed vibration that's pretty prominent. I noticed a little metal clip on one of the fan blades and thought it might be to balance the fan. I may mark the blade and attach point and remove it to see if that affects the vibration any.

Oh, and one other thing that had me worried. With the temp probe in the radiator it seems to be affected by touchless car washes. I was sitting in one last weekend and it was about 40 degrees outside. I was using my Torque app to monitor engine temps and saw that it was around 200 and climbing. The fan was on and when it got to about 215 the fan went full speed. The fan did cool the engine down but it would seem that the spraying water was artificially cooling the probe making it think the radiator was cooler than it actually was. Once the water spraying stopped and the probe warmed back up it went back to normal.

Last edited by spshultz; 11-10-2011 at 11:18 AM.
Old 11-10-2011 | 02:34 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

Are you sure It's just not maybee the brackets to plastic causing he vibration? Maybe there is not enough support there to keep it from vibrating?

Old 11-10-2011 | 05:09 PM
spshultz
|
Professional

It's mounted pretty securely. It's certainly not moving. However, I could try using rubber isolators between the four mount points to see what I get. On the slow and medium speeds you can't even tell it's on. But when it hits ludicrous speed, that's when the vibration starts.

Old 11-10-2011 | 08:53 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

I was looking at the different options; from the probs to the ones that actually read true engine temps; I was thinking about splicing into the existing harness..

wonder what Ohm that factory one is.. and if it was be safe to splice into.

Old 11-11-2011 | 07:01 AM
bwdakrt
Record Breaker

Neat, clean installation! Good job!

The only thing I see you need to do differently is move the temp probe to the INLET of the radiator so you'll be getting an accurate reading for the engine temp. With it at the OUTLET side, the temp probe is reading the already cooled temperature of the coolant and will cause the fan to come on later than it should. Just a suggestion.

Old 11-11-2011 | 07:11 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

Anyone know what the stock Temp sending unit ohm is?

Old 01-23-2012 | 07:31 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

So; I'm doing the final selections to get an electric fan on my truck and I noticed the pully on the water pump as shown in the photo's above; well I do not have any bolts holding it on; is that normal?

Old 01-30-2012 | 08:01 AM
dbilik
Record Breaker

If you drop the extra money you can get a SPAL controller, and have an LED light in the cab that will tell you when the fan is on, along with being able to piggy back onto the existing temp sensor. I did the fan mod and so far I love it. One word of warning to the 4.7L guys, its not as easy since the fan shroud is integrated into your coolant reservoir and windshield washer reservoir.

Old 02-01-2012 | 02:42 PM
bbeebee

No changes needed regarding the original serpentine belt? You just removed the original mechanical fan?
What is the advantage to doing this, better gas mileage?

Quick Reply: Chevy HHR fan and dccontrol controller