2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Chevy HHR fan and dccontrol controller

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 09:04 PM
spshultz
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Chevy HHR fan and dccontrol controller

I just finished installing everything late this afternoon. I went with the Chevy HHR fan which fit the radiator perfectly. But I'm not sure if I mounted the probe in the right spot. I mounted it about 3" above the bottom outlet in the radiator. The thermostat is a 195 degree but I have to adjust the dccontrol controller to about 180 degrees so that the fan kicks on when the sensor in the intake reads 195. In the instructions it says that putting the probe near the outlet is the best place for it. But, wouldn't it be better to mount it up near the inlet because the incoming coolant would also be the same temp as the stuff going by the intake coolant sensor?

Attached Images
Old 11-02-2011, 01:56 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Hell ya that is thin with a large shroud. Did you get it new? What years of the HHR does that fan apply to? Do you got CFM or any other specs on it.

I went with the Ford Taurus fan for now (After universals don't last) which is to close to the engine and doesn't cover all of the radiator.

Old 11-02-2011, 02:06 AM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy4x4RT
Hell ya that is thin with a large shroud. Did you get it new? What years of the HHR does that fan apply to? Do you got CFM or any other specs on it.

I went with the Ford Taurus fan for now (After universals don't last) which is to close to the engine and doesn't cover all of the radiator.
I've heard the cfm is somewhere around 4,000.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:58 AM
thewade44
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What year is ur truck? I've been wanting to do an eletrical fan on my truck. U mind telling me how u wired it up?

As for the location, I would imagine u want the temp of the coolant leaving cause that's what's going to cool ur engine, if u put it on the intake side ur fan would b on all the time be cause that's where its going to be the hottest.

Old 11-02-2011, 09:09 AM
spshultz
Professional

Crazy4x4RT: Yeah, it is pretty thin and the shroud is large. I mounted it right at the top of the radiator. It covers the entire radiator side to side and from top to bottom it covers all of it but about 3 inches. I left those 3" at the bottom. Oh, and there was no cutting of the shroud needed at all. I just drilled holes for the mounting bolts.

I bought it new from Rockauto.com (along with the fan motor electrical connector so I wouldn't have to cut the fan connector). It's from a 2007 Chevy HHR 2.4L. It's a two wire fan and not a three wire. I had seen others, including those with Jeeps running it and thought I'd give it a try. At full speed the fan pulls pretty hard. But I'm worried that it covers so much of the radiator that it might actually block some airflow at highway speeds so I need to do a lot more testing next year during summer.

But for the small 20 mile trip I took yesterday the truck never got hotter than 197 degrees and mostly stayed between 190 and 194.

Not sure on the cfm's. I actually installed some foam tape around the edges to seal it up a little more so that almost all of the air it draws in will come through the radiator. Plus it it gave me another 1/8" more clearance between the fan blades and the radiator fins.

thewade44: I've got a 1997. I wanted to try out the dccontrol.com fan controller so that is how I wired it up. And actually it was super easy. Plus, I wanted soft start (and it definitely does that). You can certainly find other less expensive controllers or just use relays. I think I've seen quite a few circuit/wiring diagrams for doing up an eFan on this site.

Last edited by spshultz; 11-02-2011 at 09:30 AM.
The following users liked this post:
V8Cowboy (10-06-2021)
Old 11-02-2011, 09:46 AM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

This is perfect thanks for the photos; maybee take some measurements and photos on where your drilled; type and size of brackets and where all you measured..

Was that the Dorman you got?

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1990720

Last edited by jondakotaguy; 11-02-2011 at 09:49 AM.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:41 AM
spshultz
Professional

Yup! Went with the Dorman.

For bolting it down I used the stock fan shroud bolts and mounting points. And then just drilled holes in the fan shroud where needed. You can see one of the aluminum pieces I cut out for mounting the rad fan just to the left of the radiator cap. I made sure to use larger flat washers on the back of the fan shroud for some strain relief. I used lock washers and loctited the nuts. I don't want it moving at all.

All of the aluminum brackets I cut were between 4.5" to 5.75" in length depending on what side they were on.

I've got a few more pictures I'll try to upload today some time. It's kind of hard to get good pics in that area.

Let's see if these work:

Last edited by spshultz; 11-02-2011 at 12:01 PM.
Old 11-02-2011, 01:56 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

Not bad man; this is exactly what I've been looking for.. and the part is only around 50+ bucks.. plus the controller.. I think i seen one for 20 somewhere i gotta remember where I seen that.

You have inspired me.

Old 11-03-2011, 10:54 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

SO how goes it so far?

Old 11-04-2011, 10:29 AM
spshultz
Professional

Haven't had time to drive it unfortunately. Work has been hell and the wife made me put our old couch in the back to take to the dump. So it sits in our drive way with a couch sticking out the back waiting for the dump to dry out (it snowed).

Quick Reply: Chevy HHR fan and dccontrol controller