2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

3.9 shifting issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 03:12 PM
prsnroftime
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3.9 shifting issues

2002 3.9L Automatic

Actually I have 2 issues that sometimes are directly related:

First off, sometimes (it is inconsistent) the truck will dog down, as if it is having fuel delivery issues, you will hear a little back fire coming from the engine as well. It can last anywhere from 5-30 seconds. By this point, my foot is probably at half throttle and its like the truck gets normal fuel flow and the truck takes off. When that happens, it causes the next issue to happen...

When run at higher RPMs, the truck will continue to **** at high RPMs. I do not understand if this is a computer issue or another issue. If the issue above happens, it will shift at 3000+ RPMs and the rest of the time while driving the truck, any shift will happen at above 3000 RPMs. If I turn the truck off for a minute or so the issue resets and it shifts normal.

Any ideas?

Old 11-05-2011, 11:11 PM
jamoka3
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same issue, in my 99 Dakota 4x4..
Here's what it was, for me...

First off, I properly adjusted the TV cable up at the throttle body as per the Haynes manule, and followed it down the drivers side of the transmission right above the shift linkage. I noticed that when the gas pedal was pushed all the way down to the floor the TV linkage would go back (towards the back of the truck), and that there was a return spring that would reset the TV cable back to the return / start position (towards the front of the truck). Well after 100k miles of back and forth movement that little spring was shot, and did not return the TV cable back to normal position, which cause my truck to hold gear and shift at high RPM'S and cause it to hold gear longer, and bog down power before a shift.
I then removed that old spring and gave it a good pull and there was little to no return. I had a extra carburetor return spring that was about the same length, but was wound up tighter, and had a much better return when pulled. I slipped the new return spring on ( pain in the ***) and lubed up the cable, and that was it!
Now my truck shifts perfect and has been for over 5 months now.
That was 100% the issue, for me, so i hope that helps?

Quick Reply: 3.9 shifting issues