2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Which Mods First?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2005, 10:28 PM
MuddinDakota
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Mods First?

I'm looking at getting a 98/99 dakota with a 5.2L. I wanna do mods as soon as i get it. I'm looking at doing a cat back exhaust(probably flowmaster Force II), CAI(probably K&N), a set of 31x10.50x15 BFG A/T tires, maybe a Class III hitch, and 2" performance accesories body lift. Is this a good start or would you suggest something else? I'm not looking at spending $2k on a sus lift, or getting gears(untill i get bigger tires), or wheels/tires. I wanna eventually get like a 3" sus lift to fit some 33x12.50x15 M/T Baja Claws, a Warn Winch, front tubular bumper and what not. I'm a fireman so i focus a lot on recovery, so i'll be able to get myself outta most things so i wont need a winch right away. Also does anyone know a company that sells chains and j hooks and all that sort of stuff? I'd get them through one of my firehouse providers, but everything cost 3x's when its being sold for fire related stuff. thx in advance.

Old 07-29-2005, 12:31 AM
TexasNative
Professional
Default RE: Which Mods First?

Just wonderin if your gonna do any engine mods first like exhaust or intake or a chip something along those lines, the more power u make the easier it will be to turn bigger tires and get you out in the boonies better.

Old 07-29-2005, 12:38 PM
MuddinDakota

Here is what im thinking in order: Airaid CAI - $190, Flowmaster Force II Cat Back - $200, 2" Performance Accesories Body Lift - $200, Rancho 3" Suspension Lift - $1300, 15x10 M/T Classic II's wrapped in 33x12.50R15 BFG Mud Terrain K/M's - $1080. Total comes to just under $3,000, but will be a little over with shipping and all. Do you think this is a good start?

Old 07-29-2005, 07:55 PM
TexasNative
Professional

Looks good to me but Im only 1 guy but it sounds like a good start.

Old 07-30-2005, 12:12 AM
MuddinDakota

thanx for the help man, anyone else have any suggestions?

Old 08-02-2005, 12:18 AM
kota98
Rookie

what your doing sounds much like the things I was planning on doing over time money is tight and I have other piorities. I have a set of 15x10 in rims eagle alloys I can sell for $250 they are in excelent shape let me know if your interested
Thanks Rick

Old 08-02-2005, 10:18 AM
MuddinDakota

send me a pic to gmfan25@yahoo.com

Old 08-03-2005, 12:32 AM
kota98
Rookie

Email sent

Old 08-03-2005, 04:26 AM
firemanmatt

I agree with you on NOT buying anything from a fire vendor. They sell NFPA compliant equipment, which is usually marked up pretty good, when there's the EXACT same model without an NFPA rating sold by the same company for ALOT less. Our circular and chainsaws on our platform and aerial ladder trucks are perfect examples. STIHL and Huskys, and all are rated for firefighting purposes. My father in law has the EXACT model STIHL chainsaw as we have on our platform (same bar, chain length, motor, etc...) The only difference is that we bought an aftermarket chain that cuts through non-wood products better than the stock chain on it. My father in law dropped I believe around $400 for his new, and our department dropped over $750 for the same thing. Im positive they are the same thing because, when I drive the platform at work, I am in charge of tearing it down during weekly checks, and I have fixed my father-in-law's as well. No question they are the same saw.

I know it's fun to have alot of fire-quality stuff for personal useage, but you are being VERY smart by thinking otherwise. You don't need an NFPA rating for stuff you use off duty, there's plenty of good stuff out there for personal use that will suit you just as well, for ALOT cheaper! And don't let those fire vendors convince you otherwise!

Stay safe!

Old 08-03-2005, 08:21 PM
MuddinDakota

yea man, cool to see another fireman on this site. I know exactly what your talking about cause we have a engine/light rescue that we have stihl, and i have the same chainsaw for like 1/2 the price too. great to talk with ya.

stay safe.

Quick Reply: Which Mods First?