2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Sound coming from speaker...no key!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 05:35 PM
Axe07
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sound coming from speaker...no key!

Hey everyone - I recently bought an 01 Dakota CC Sport. Always loved the 2nd gens. Anyway, a week ago I experienced this phenomenon where what sound like escaping air was coming out of the passenger side front door speaker. I actually thought I ripped a hole in the tire, but it was the speaker. Couple odd things about this - A) the front speakers dont work at all, and B) the key was out of the ignition.

A few days later, the battery was down to 3 volts. (I put new batteries in when I buy used vehicles, just for piece of mind) Not sure if related or not. I also replaced the alternator yesterday, so I guess ill have to let it sit for a few days and see if it drains again.

Anyway, today I put an aftermarket stereo in, works great - and then I hear noise coming from that same speaker again after I shut the truck off. Another oddity - I did not connect the front speakers when I put the aftermarket stereo in.

Any thoughts? Is it possible that I'm off my meds - even though I dont recall being prescribed any meds?!

Also had the doors lock by themselves (did a search on that and see its a common issue) and my cousin used the truck one day and said when he got in the truck all the guage needles were pegged to the right. Did the reset thing and they returned to normal. And of course the mandatory intermittent cel. Wouldnt be a Chrysler product without that cel, would it? Lets hear it for Chryslers electrical enginnering team.

Seriously, the truck runs great - and I bagged on Chrysler for a long time - and I grew up loving Chrysler vehicles, but for many years they were an embarrasment. Theyre turning things around, and I hope their momentum continues. Thanks.

Old 11-11-2011, 06:09 PM
NickCornell
Veteran

I'm contacting TAPS. it seems your dak has a residual haunt

Old 11-11-2011, 07:21 PM
chris1996
Veteran

lets call the ghost busters...!!!!!

Old 11-11-2011, 10:33 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

This sounds like a white noise problem. Does (or did) the truck have the factory Infinity amplified stereo system? If so, try unplugging the factory amplifer and see if the noise is still there. With the battery dying down over a period of time like that, it could be that the factory amplifer has a problem and will not turn off, which is how/why it drained the battery.

The amp can also have problems with noise from speakers even though the radio or ignition is not on. If the truck has the Infinity system and the amp is still connected to the speaker, you could have this kind of problem even if you did not connect that particular speaker output at the radio.

Jimmy

Quick Reply: Sound coming from speaker...no key!