2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

oil inside the intake -tried something and it worked - so far

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 12:29 AM
PonchoRob
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil inside the intake -tried something and it worked - so far

I had oil pooling in the bottom of my intake because the belly pan gasket was bad , shocking , i know right ! Well , i replaced it , and all was good for awhile , seems it wasnt too many miles down the road longer that i decided to have a look down the throttle body and into the intake just for the heck of it one day - and i seen a small amount of oil puddleing again to one side , i thought WTF is going on with that ?? Just so happened i remembered reading about how engines can suck an oil mist through the PCV valve and cause oil to be pulled into the intake and burned with the fuel and cause problems ,, so i pulled the PCV hose from the side of the intake and guess what ,, it was soaked with oil to the point that it dripped out of the hose after i pulled it off !! Done some research and found that a vapor mist catch can would solve the oil mist pulling issue ,, only problem with that was the initial cost of one ,, then i found out that some later model chevy truck engines were having the same oil mist problems that i was seeing , and that it caused GM to issue a fix for it to quiet customer complaints of oil consumption and exhaust smoke -- they redesigned the PCV valve to eliminate the spring/plunger assembly from inside of it and the valve is empty inside , and it only has a small metered hole drilled in it`s bottom in an attempt to limit the amount of oil vapor/mist it can pull through it , the corvette and the camaro guys are retrofitting them onto their LS engines because they have the same problem`s too and it seems to be working for them ,, and it has seemed to have fixed the issue so far for GM . So i got the pn # and bought one from Auto Zone , only cost like 2 bucks and change for their store brand ,,, technically it doesnt fit the dodge valve cover grommet for the PCV valve , too big ,, so i pulled the grommet out and drilled the center of it untill the chevy pcv valve fit tightly into it and put it all back on the engine ,, i had an old edelbrock chrome pcv cover for a chevy that fit onto the pcv valve i put on and used brand new pcv hose to connect it all up , so far after 1 month of driveing the truck daily i havent seen any wet dripping oil in the pcv hose to the intake when i pulled it off to look at it , and it hasn't caused any idle or performance issues either so far !! If anyone is interested in this , i will post back with the pn# of the valve i bought and maybe a pic or 2 of everything and answer any questions that come up .

Old 07-06-2013, 10:42 AM
silveradokidd
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What was the AutoZone part # for the pcv valve that you used?

Silveradokidd

Quick Reply: oil inside the intake -tried something and it worked - so far