2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Reverse Switch?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 07:54 PM
Wetodd
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reverse Switch?

HEy Guys, 2001 QC 4.7 Auto 4X4. Problem I have no reverse lights. Bulbs are good and harness looks good is there a switch that works the lights on the Tranny some where?

Old 11-16-2011, 11:16 AM
ahsnowlover
Veteran

I have the same problem, if I tap the shift selector while in revers I can get the lights to go on sometimes or they just flicker or they aren't even on at all. I haven't worried about it much since it has been passing safety inspection but I would like to get it fixed cause it makes it easier to hook up to trailers and such at night. Is there a switch that controls it or a connection somewhere I can check?

Old 03-25-2012, 12:06 PM
bythefireplace

Have 2001 Dakota 3.9 V6 M/T, the back-up lights have been a problem for along time. Original back-up switch stopped working. Its on the driver side of the trans. Replaced & new one only lasted about a month and shorted to ground. Waiting for second replacement switch.

Old 03-25-2012, 05:46 PM
ahsnowlover
Veteran

How hard was it to replace it? I located it but it looks like a pain in the butt to get to.

Old 03-26-2012, 05:44 PM
bythefireplace
Default Backup Switch install.

A deep 7/8" socket will remove and install the switch. I used a 3/8 drive because of the tight spot. It just comes out like a spark plug. There are so may interlocking electrical connectors. The connector unlocks by pulling up on the locking tab and the tab comes off with the wires. These switches seem to have a problem shorting out to ground. Maybe I screwed it in too far. I sunk it like a spark plug.

Quick Reply: Reverse Switch?