2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

2002 Dak-4x4-3.9L Lower Ball Joint issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 11:33 PM
joemama1967
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Dak-4x4-3.9L Lower Ball Joint issue

Hello everyone.

First, I have found some great advice here! Love it!

A few questions if you don't mind:
1. I didn't get a Moog Lower Ball Joint. Instead, I got OEBrand ball Joints (greasable)--any known issues with these?
2. Got a Driveworks wheel hub NT515007. Sold by Advance Auto--any good? To make sure, I slapped grease everywhere on that thing...lol
3. Got a DuraLast upper ball joint (greasable) from Autozone--any good?

Okay, now the issue:
How can I press out the lower ball joint? It seems that the CV is in the way. If I have to remove the B.J., is there an easy way to do it instead of removing the driveaxle? The axle doesn't have the 6 bolts like I see in one of the youtube videos. Instead it appears to just stick up in there.
To remove the driveaxle, the Haynes manual says:
"Position two large prybars between the axle housing and the end of the inner axle joint and pry to release the axleshaft from the axle housing"...HUH? Of course, no photos.

I did the left side by taking the upper, lower, tie-rod, brake caliper off and removed the WHOLE knuckle with the hub (since I was replacing everything). With the cold and bad weather, it took about 8-10 hours across a 3 day period. I am hoping to shorten that time when I do the right side.

I probably will have to do the same to the right side but I would rather work in parts: lower b.j. first, then the upper, then the hub.

So, any suggestions? I'm a nurse and not a mechanic so make it as elementary as possible...(with photos if possible).

Thanks in advance...you guys are the greatest!!

--Ed

Last edited by joemama1967; 11-23-2011 at 11:38 PM.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:52 PM
joemama1967
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know how to upload photos so here is a link to the left side (before I tore it all apart). As you can see, there is no clearance from the LBJ and the CV

http://www.parkers-place.com/dakota/...77-smaller.JPG

Quick Reply: 2002 Dak-4x4-3.9L Lower Ball Joint issue