2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Regular cab V6 4x4 with short bed

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 12:08 PM
toycar
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Regular cab V6 4x4 with short bed

Hi all. I'm new to the site and I am potentially new to MoPar.

I am looking to buy a compact 4x4 pkup as a second vehicle for personal use and general all around house chores. I prefer an extended cab but I came accross what seems to be a nice 99 SLT regular cab with the 3.9L v6 4x4 with auto trans. The truck is in nice shape with right around 95K miles. Body is clean, undercarriage clean and interior clean. There is minor rust on the chrome bumpers. Good tires. Everything seems to work.

I know little to nothing about Dodge products. Before I take to the leap I was hoping you guys could give me a quick lesson on what I should look for and check. Also, what would be a fair price for the vehicle I described above.

Would regular cab be a LOT less desirable? Is the V6 enough? Are there special areas I should be cautious of?

Thanks in advance for advice or information.

Old 11-29-2011, 01:26 PM
ahsnowlover
Veteran

I have the same year truck and from what you described the same set up. For being a v-6 it has decent power, if you pull heavy trailers especially on hilly roads you might want to think about getting a V-8. The tranny is pretty good and should be in good shape for how many miles are on the truck depending on how it was treated. I have 198,000k on mine and just had my transfer case rip it's self in half this last spring. Other than that it is a great truck, I bought mine for $6,500 and it had 123,000 miles. Check the cv joints, and all the fluids and see if the guy has a maintenance record by chance. I love my truck and I would say go for it.

Old 11-29-2011, 03:00 PM
toycar

So, would under $4k be a good price in today's market?

Old 11-29-2011, 07:20 PM
NickCornell
Veteran

I would say so. My 03 3.9 cc 2wd was 3600 (100k miles)

Old 11-29-2011, 09:36 PM
dirtbiker
Captain

Yeah, I'd say 4k is fair. It's not a steal, but if the truck's only got 95k on her, it's good. Go check it out, check the front end make sure nothing looks messed up. The regular cab should be fine as it sounds like this isn't going to be used as a family vehicle.

Quick Reply: Regular cab V6 4x4 with short bed