2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

planning on buying a 99 dakota tomorrow

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 11:48 PM
mgaither0
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default planning on buying a 99 dakota tomorrow

Well I'm planning on buying a 99 dakota tomorrow. It has 200k on it. I figure it has a ton of miles but the price is rite and I figure I can keep it running for a year or 2 then possibly get something new or newer. I've been reading about seafoam and have read a bunch of different things in regards to how to use it. Is it effective and something I should do? If I do buy this dakota 2wd extended cab with a 3.9 what should I do to it rite away in regards to maintenance? I assume change the oil, differential fluid, air filter, possibly spark plugs, wires, what else? thanks everyone

Old 12-03-2011, 01:42 AM
New 2 Dodge
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it's an auto it wouldn't hurt to change the fluid in the transmission and coolant. Check for any leaking seals..

Old 12-03-2011, 10:41 AM
ksJoe
Rookie

it wouldn't hurt to flush the brake lines.
If the belt or radiator hoses look old, replace them too.

Old 12-03-2011, 10:47 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Lightbulb engine flush but go slow to start

If you want to flush out old engine slime use seafoam or my choice is Magic Marvel Oil in your oil it will slowly dissolve the engine oil sludge that may be their a fast engine flush may destroy a high milage engine that may have large amounts of sludge buildup in it.

So first MMO one or two oil changes then use GUNK engine flush as a final flash cleaning.

Gunk engine oil flush freed up my piston rings and gave me back power it was a big improvement.

I also did this.

I used MMO directly on my pistons to help free the piston rings up popped out my sparkplugs and pored 3 ounces of MMO in let sit 20 minutes then by hand not by ignition with the coil unplugged cranked my engine around a few times and poured more MMO in then same thing just remember what sparkplug wire goes to what sparkplug.

I let it sit over night inserted my plugs and fired it up and no smoke at all the MMO is a thin oil it will sep down past the pistons into the engine oil.

You may get smoke but I didnt.

Last edited by 98DAKAZ; 12-03-2011 at 10:52 AM.
Old 12-03-2011, 04:06 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Do all the reg maintenance stuff on it check the plugs,anti freez, axles tranny, engine oil. Also change the engine oil and put a bottle of lucas oil stabilizer in it.

Old 12-03-2011, 06:52 PM
mgaither0
Veteran

well I bought it. I really needed a vehicle and for $1500 bucks I figured I couldnt go wrong. The good is I got a free tool box out of it. The bad it that some one "red neck rigged/ ghetto rigged" the back window. I will post a picture probably tomorrow but they took the glass from a different truck and put in in the dakota and then duck taped around it! Awesome! When steering and turning the wheel very sharp I feel alot of rubbing like what u would get when u get in a very cold vehicle in the morning and go to turn the wheel u get some noise. Well I get alot. It also has 22x,xxx something on it not 200,000. The rear bumper is all dented. The bed is all beat up with dents and chipped pain. Needs a bed liner. The door handle wont work on the inside oh and the driver seat is all caved in so I'm basically sitting on the floor!

Old 12-03-2011, 07:05 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Default wow thats a load of work

I’m guessing it’s a hobby truck doesn’t sound very drivable especial the seat I could never use it till the seat was replaced/fixed I have very bad back problems.

But it sounds like a load of fun keep us informed please.

Take a load of before pic's tomorrow to show us the dirty beast.

Old 12-03-2011, 09:52 PM
mgaither0
Veteran

i check the power steering pump and it was bone dry. That explains why I was getting all sorts of bad sounds when trying to turn the wheel. It seems to be working now I'm just not sure if its leaking or now.

Old 12-03-2011, 09:54 PM
mgaither0
Veteran

Originally Posted by 98DAKAZ
I’m guessing it’s a hobby truck doesn’t sound very drivable especial the seat I could never use it till the seat was replaced/fixed I have very bad back problems.

But it sounds like a load of fun keep us informed please.

Take a load of before pic's tomorrow to show us the dirty beast.
My temp fix is a 3/4 inch thick piece of pine plywood that is sitting on the top of the seat. But I'm going to go to the junk yard tomorrow and pull a seat and a center console.

Old 12-03-2011, 10:01 PM
moe7404
Record Breaker

check the rear end gear raito. 3.55 is good all arond. if most driving is hiway 3.23 is better. if you drive in town ONLY a 4.1 will get better mpg. if it has a 3.55 or 3.23 you might get better mpg by adjusting the shift points lower than stock. i havint done it my self, its just an idea i have. be for readjust the shift point be sure you can put it back, in case the change doesnt work.

Quick Reply: planning on buying a 99 dakota tomorrow