2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

HC and NOx - mutually exclusive?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 09:56 AM
judasentinel
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HC and NOx - mutually exclusive?

In Canada, emission tests measure three things - Hydrocarbons, CO (Carbon mono-Oxide), and NOx (Oxides of Nitrogen). People use various solutions to lower their numbers for the e-test.

I thought I would share what Ive read about thisbecause it seems that the solution to lower one causes the other to go higher.

To lower HC numbers - use isopropyl alcohol, MBTE, Methyl Hydrate, etc.. but this causes the engine to heat up more and faster, resulting in higher NOx numbers
CO - Similar to HC solution above.
NOx - Sea Foam - lowers the NOx numbers but can and does increase the HC and CO numbers (allegedly).

I have so far used a can of Sea Foam into my intake manifold and gas tank, ran the tank almost dry and refilled with Shell V-Power 91. Not sure if I need to do anything else.

My question is, can anyone on here share with more clarity and authority as to what to do/use to lower all three parameters (HC, CO, NOx)? Is it true that sea foam increases the HC and CO levels? And that using methyl hydrate/MBTE/alcohol would increase the NOx levels?

My 1999 Dodge Dakota Sport with a 318 V8 Magnum does have an EGR....

Thanks....

Old 04-14-2012, 10:58 PM
e39v8

I just passed the emission test after using seafoam for my '97 BMW e39. On the first test everything passed except NOx so it was a FAIL. I can confirm that after seafoam cleaning NOx dropped a lot and CO and HC increased slightly. Check the video for complete results:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JKyj6NH5lM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9JKyj6NH5lM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Old 04-15-2012, 12:06 AM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Thats a shame; here in Texas they were doing emissions testing; now they put nothing up your tale pipe; only check the OBDII port with their computer to check that there is an OK status or Ready status on Post-Cat O2 sensor.

Old 04-15-2012, 04:57 AM
macgollabhride
Professional

Likewise; Feels like forever that PA has been doing computer emissions. I think I've only had two vehicles before they switched from the tailpipe deal over to the computer check.

I don't mind change...but I do miss the simpler times

Originally Posted by jondakotaguy
Thats a shame; here in Texas they were doing emissions testing; now they put nothing up your tale pipe; only check the OBDII port with their computer to check that there is an OK status or Ready status on Post-Cat O2 sensor.

Old 04-15-2012, 05:04 AM
macgollabhride
Professional

That Sea Foam stuff is pretty kick Axe! I cleaned my throttle body a couple weeks ago with it - I hardly had to scrub. The muck basically melted away, without taking my skin with it.

Originally Posted by e39v8
I just passed the emission test after using seafoam for my '97 BMW e39. On the first test everything passed except NOx so it was a FAIL. I can confirm that after seafoam cleaning NOx dropped a lot and CO and HC increased slightly. Check the video for complete results:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JKyj6NH5lM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9JKyj6NH5lM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Old 04-15-2012, 12:20 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Just wait.. they are supposed to be going to 15% Ethanol blends and then pushing country wide.. think our trucks run **** poor now and crap caking up.. off this crap they are peddling.. wait till we start getting 15%...

LOL!

Quick Reply: HC and NOx - mutually exclusive?