2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

17mm or 18mm power steering pump, does it matter?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 04:22 PM
Dakmm
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah this is the page I was looking at on rock auto, shows both a 17mm and 18mm, but the A-1 Cardone one for $88.79 doesn't show a shaft measurement and comes with a pulley, which leads me to believe that if you are getting one with a pulley, shaft size doesn't matter (never thought I'd say shaft size doesn't matter so much in my life).

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php

I figure, and it looks like, they both bolt on exactly the same, so if the pulley is already on it, it's basically plug and play. Just figured I'd see if anybody knew for sure.

Thanks.

Old 12-07-2011, 05:06 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Dakmm
I figure, and it looks like, they both bolt on exactly the same, so if the pulley is already on it, it's basically plug and play. Just figured I'd see if anybody knew for sure.

Thanks.
Please let us know for sure when you do. I don't think you'll have a problem.

Old 12-07-2011, 06:02 PM
Dakmm
Professional

Will do, I think I'm just gonna risk it and order it from rock auto and see how it goes. Based on the pictures it looks like the exact pump.

Now as long as I don't snap any of the bolts that hold the old pump on and I can get the high pressure line off the pump, I'll be good.

Any tips on that high pressure line? I assume a line wrench and some patience is what I'll need as it looks tight under there, gonna take a lot of small turns to get it off.

Old 12-07-2011, 07:53 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Default understand

I understand your need for a pump pulley combo removing and putting a pulley on is a pain in the ***.

Replaced my pulley last month and it sucked man that thing was stuck on like it was welded to that shaft and getting the new one on was just as hard kept wanting to go on sideways not cleanly.

When finished I wished I had never decided to replace it that’s how hard it was.

Old 01-16-2012, 10:28 PM
2002dakotakid
Rookie
Default pulley size

btw i had to replace mine and talked to someone who had done it and he worked at autozone where i got mine and the sizes are actually just the size of the shaft that the pulley is on the actual pulley size doesn't change as i was told and it worked for mine

Old 01-17-2012, 09:54 AM
Dakmm
Professional

Yeah I just got the one that came with the pulley, so I'm not sure what size the shaft is on it, didn't bother to measure. But it bolted right up.

Never found out why they make two different sizes, but if I ever did it again, I'd just get it with the pulley on.

The new pump whines as bad as the old one though, no idea what the hell is going on. I've bled and flushed and now replaced the pump, and zero difference, sounds like nothing was ever changed. People keep telling it's just how Dodge's are, but that seems like BS to me.

Old 01-17-2012, 10:13 AM
bpark8824
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used the same pulley on mine so I measured the shaft and got the right one. I think mine was 17mm but I forget now, it was a couple years ago. Not sure either why they make two different sizes.

Quick Reply: 17mm or 18mm power steering pump, does it matter?