2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Check Engine Light NOT working

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 07:49 PM
khafe458
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check Engine Light NOT working

Hey ya'll,
Long time follower of this forum but fist post, hoping everyone can help out. Finally found an answer I can't find on this forum. So to took the 02 3.7 4x4 Dakota to get the emissions done today and it bombed.

First problem, check engine light looks to be burnt out. I have a few codes that should have made the check engine light come on but nothing. Did a simple gauge check and that looks like that is most likely problem and the place to start. Anyone know how to replace the bulb for the check engine light?

Second problem, I have 2 codes; P0420 and P0455. The first is for a bad catalytic converter efficiency which I would worry about a lot more pending the second code. P0455 Evap. Emission system leak (large leak). My thinking is that I have a vacuum leak somewhere it is causing the first code and not a bad converter (P0420). The truck is completely stock so its not some aftermarket intake or headers if you going that route. Where do I start? I checked under the hood for the obvious but everything looks good and don't hear anything bad. Only thing I did notice was the last tank of gas got low milage, which means possibly something just went bad.

Thanks for your help,
Kevin

Old 12-06-2011, 08:14 PM
huseman808
Captain

First try the key trick. It is where you turn the truck to...
Run, Off, Run, Off, Run and leave it in the run position. (when I say run i mean the position without actually starting the truck.)

This should display Trouble codes where your Odometer is.

Next do a gauge check. Hold down the Trip Reset button on the gauge cluster and turn the Ignition to run. It should illuminate all lamps and check the gauges themselves.

For your codes. check for a short cracked hose on your evap canister, it is underneath the truck on drivers side right under the door if I remember right. I had a hose cracked there and got those 2 codes. Should you find a leaky hose, go pick it up from the dealer then reset the PCM by disconnectiong the negative battery terminal.

Hope it helps good luck

Old 12-06-2011, 10:48 PM
khafe458

Originally Posted by huseman808
First try the key trick. It is where you turn the truck to...
Run, Off, Run, Off, Run and leave it in the run position. (when I say run i mean the position without actually starting the truck.)

This should display Trouble codes where your Odometer is.

Next do a gauge check. Hold down the Trip Reset button on the gauge cluster and turn the Ignition to run. It should illuminate all lamps and check the gauges themselves.

For your codes. check for a short cracked hose on your evap canister, it is underneath the truck on drivers side right under the door if I remember right. I had a hose cracked there and got those 2 codes. Should you find a leaky hose, go pick it up from the dealer then reset the PCM by disconnectiong the negative battery terminal.

Hope it helps good luck
Thanks pal. That actually helps a lot. I will check the evap canister tomorrow. Didn't think of that. Thank you.

Still going to have to fix that check eninge bulb before it can pass. But with a truck that has 151,000 miles, I'm honestly just happy to say the dakota hasn't had any other major problems this far!

Old 12-07-2011, 09:45 AM
mikeglass1969
Amateur

The large evap system leak is usually a lose gas cap. I would have the codes erased and tighten the cap and keep and eye on the codes before climbing under the truck.

Maybe even try a new cap. The orginal caps from dodge were crap, not made of stainless steel, and rusted out.

Old 12-07-2011, 10:51 AM
Dakmm
Professional

Loose or leaking gas cap always comes up as a EVAP small leak on OBD II. Large leak is something more substantial.

Old 12-07-2011, 02:45 PM
mikeglass1969
Amateur

I disagree w/ Dakmm. Friends Ford Explorer and my own Dakota had this problem.

Generic repair link to p0455 code..

http://repairpal.com/OBD-II-Code-P0455

Last edited by mikeglass1969; 12-07-2011 at 02:52 PM.
Old 12-07-2011, 03:11 PM
New 2 Dodge
Professional

I have been chasing a P0456 code. I started with P0442 - changed the gas cap and it went away but shortly after I got the P0456. I have been changing hoses and running out of ideas. I "reclamped" the filler neck filler hose and vent hose and hot glued around the top of them as well. The code hasn't come back since Sunday but I am still getting the strong smell of gas and very ****ty gas mileage - 60 miles and down to 3/4 of a tank already... Is there a way to test the charcoal cannister?

Old 12-07-2011, 07:01 PM
khafe458

Originally Posted by mikeglass1969
I disagree w/ Dakmm. Friends Ford Explorer and my own Dakota had this problem.

Generic repair link to p0455 code..

http://repairpal.com/OBD-II-Code-P0455
Thanks. It looks as if I'm going to have to chase this one down. Any cheap easy fix that might work is worth doing before the harder and expensive tasks

Old 12-07-2011, 07:03 PM
khafe458

Originally Posted by New 2 Dodge
I have been chasing a P0456 code. I started with P0442 - changed the gas cap and it went away but shortly after I got the P0456. I have been changing hoses and running out of ideas. I "reclamped" the filler neck filler hose and vent hose and hot glued around the top of them as well. The code hasn't come back since Sunday but I am still getting the strong smell of gas and very ****ty gas mileage - 60 miles and down to 3/4 of a tank already... Is there a way to test the charcoal cannister?
Holy random thread jacking batman...ur better off starting ur own thread and trying to get answers that way.

Good Luck

Old 12-08-2011, 07:59 AM
New 2 Dodge
Professional

Originally Posted by khafe458
Holy random thread jacking batman...ur better off starting ur own thread and trying to get answers that way.

Good Luck
Not sure how you see this as a random thread jacking - I am just sharing that I also have an evap issue and sharing some of the things that I have tried to get rid of a code. Whatever Dude - just trying to help.

Quick Reply: Check Engine Light NOT working