2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Lighted cup holders

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 11:39 AM
Ol' Fart
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Ligted Cup Holders

I finished my install, but my pictures didn't come out, so I will attempt to describe the process in detail to make it easier for someone else to duplicate if they choose.
  • I used a green 5mm LED that came in a chrome housing. I also used a 560 ohm resistor to reduce the light. I determined the resistance needed by researching on The12volt.com web sight.
  • Remove the radio surround, the panel under the steering wheel, the glove compartment door, the ashtray, and the lower center panel. All these need to be removed to access the screws that hold the center panel.
  • Determine the location of where the LED will be mounted (Limited by the heater behind the center panel.)
  • Drill a hole in the panel and mount the LED. Solder the connections needed. The Resistor is soldered to the longer lead of the LED. (I tested the connections using a 9v battery.) I then spliced the power supply wire for the LED into the power wire for the ashtray light which is already controlled by the light switch. I connected the ground to the metal support for the heater under the edge of the carpet in the center.
  • Once the connections were made, I reinstalled the panels.
The light emitted from the LED is a very soft green light that just lights the cup holders sufficiently to see them. I apologize for the lack of photos, but the process is pretty simple. About 2 hours total to complete. The total cost was less than $5.00. If anyone needs further explanation I would be happy to answer questions.

Old 12-22-2011, 06:38 PM
BlueQC
Rookie

ol Fart
i love to se a pic of the install and the light at night. I too need a light so I can see the coffee holder.

Old 12-23-2011, 05:45 AM
keg97
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did not have cup holders so I had to make them. imagine a truck without cup holders. I removed the center seat cushion and made a console w/ cup holders.

Last edited by keg97; 12-29-2011 at 02:17 PM.
Old 12-23-2011, 03:49 PM
Ol' Fart
Amateur

Blue QC - I tried to take a picture of the finished project with my cell phone, but the light was so dim it didn't turn out. I'll try to use my wife's digital camera tonight to see if I can get a decent photo that will turn out. I also need to figure out to post photos.

Old 12-23-2011, 05:55 PM
BlueQC
Rookie

ol' Fart. I had a look at my dash and I happen to see a small square hole thae was in a removable box low and be hold i popped it out with a key and there is a buld will probe into it on my days off . so here is to hoping its just a bad bulb if not some rewiring is in order ! I will snapp a cell pic of it for ofther to see. I under stand from my local dealer that this was an item that never really worked for long from the factory...

Old 12-24-2011, 07:16 AM
Jomill58

I used small leds from walmart. only thing is the lighter plug in also has a lighted end.
Makes everything too bright

Old 12-24-2011, 11:10 AM
DaveChuck

Has anyone thought about installing colored LED lighting? I've contemplated installing two light bars under my seat, or under the steering counsel and glove box. It'll illuminate the floor any color you want. would add effect and you'd be able to see the cup holders. You can either hard wire or plugin to the 12 volt outlet. I was thinking about buying a 12 volt adapter with two plugs, mount it under my counsel facing the floor so you couldn't see it plugged in (and if you had an illuminated button, it would shine down onto the floor as well).
Just a small project I see in the near future. Anyone try it?

Old 01-01-2012, 11:24 PM
NickCornell
Veteran

I did something similar to this because I spilled a 16 oz monster on my floor.... I went to walmart and got a 12 volt cig plug in led light that splices into two single blue LED lights. They're magnified so I aimed them down into the cup holder and I turns the whole cup holder into a feint blue circle it looks really good. I put the other LED in the holder above the big hOlder. They're no bigger than a penny and were only 7 bucks

Old 01-02-2012, 11:36 AM
Ol' Fart
Amateur

Glad to see many creative ideas come out of my post to solve a minor problem. Doesn't take much light and you can use any color(s) you like and the cost is minimal.

Quick Reply: Lighted cup holders