2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Output Speed Sensor Circuit Malfunction. Help please!

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 09:41 PM
Freddy Fog
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Output Speed Sensor Circuit Malfunction. Help please!

Hello Dodge Forum,

I'm having a bit of an issue with my Dakota right now. It's a 2000 Dodge Dakota 4x4 with the 4.7 V8 engine. I was on my way to school on Friday when I noticed that something didn't feel quite right with my gearing. It had a hard, powerless shift around 20 mph at about 2300 RPMs and even if I floored the gas, the engine felt like it had no power. Half way to school, my engine light kicks on. By the time I got home and checked the code, it read "Output Speed Sensor Circuit Malfunction" and the code was "PO720" (or P0720, depending on how you read it). I looked all over the net and I've found various solutions to the problem, but none of them seem to answer a question I need to know.

From what I've read, There is a sensor that needs to be changed on the driver's side of the tranny (which we replaced), but even after the code was reset and we did a hard reset of the PCM, the truck still has the issue and the light still kicks on. I'm wondering if we did the wrong fix, if it takes time for the computer to realize the sensor is correct, or what I have to do. I'd be very grateful if someone could help me somehow. Thank you very much.

A side note- I read that everything gets funky with the truck if you drive 50 MPH or above. I take a route to school that has a speed limit of 40 MPH, so I haven't actually had to deal with that myself.

Old 12-14-2011, 06:55 AM
bwdakrt
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe this will help.

Old 12-15-2011, 06:11 PM
Freddy Fog
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bwdakrt, thank you SO much for this diagram! I didn't know that there was an input AND output sensor. Might sound boneheaded, but I don't know much about anything. Because of you, my dad and I were able to find the correct part to replace. Worked like a charm. Erased the engine light just because I didn't want to see it anymore. My Dakota is back and anything without a Dodge name had better stay out of the way. Thank you again. B)

Old 12-15-2011, 06:24 PM
bwdakrt
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Freddy Fog
bwdakrt, thank you SO much for this diagram! I didn't know that there was an input AND output sensor. Might sound boneheaded, but I don't know much about anything. Because of you, my dad and I were able to find the correct part to replace. Worked like a charm. Erased the engine light just because I didn't want to see it anymore. My Dakota is back and anything without a Dodge name had better stay out of the way. Thank you again. B)
No problem Freddy. Glad I was able to help.

Quick Reply: Output Speed Sensor Circuit Malfunction. Help please!