2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

help with engine compatibility, please!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 10:31 PM
andres14oj
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with engine compatibility, please!!

Hi, sorry for not making an intro yet but kind of in a hurry here. We bought an 04 dakota with no engine in it. It was a 3.7 and everything else is there: ac comp ps pump tranny and exhaust. Now, it has been kinda difficult to find an engine for it and yesterday we just found something. Its a 3.7 from an 07 dakota for a pretty good price. Ive been doing lots of research to fibd out if its gonna work and cant seem to fibd a definite answer. I've crossed matched part numbers and it looks like the crank and the cam gears are the same, but whats got me comcern is the different part #s for the cams. I also know i gotta use the 04 tb since the 07 is electronic, but i have that one. Exhaust manis r the same, y pipe is the same alternator same, and a few things are different but my main concern is the cams. I also know i cannot use a pre-04 engine cause of the tone rings. I really need help with this cuz i wouldnt like to loose this engine. Not really knowledgable on these trucks, i am more of a nissan guy, actually i just finished swapping an rb25 in my s14, could show u some pix if u want to.
i appreciate any help.
thanks fellas.

Old 12-16-2011, 10:52 PM
URBANRDNECK
Veteran
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I always like pictures!

I think that you could switch out the throttle bodies but you would have to check and make sure that there are no extra sensors or anything. which I'm assuming that you already checked since you sound like someone who knows what he's doin

Old 12-17-2011, 01:31 PM
andres14oj
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll post some pix of my project when i get home. Like i said my only concern is the cams. Anybody else? Perhaps someone who's done something similar? Im about to go pick up this engine tomorrow and would sure hate to just hear it crank over and over again and not hear it start..

Quick Reply: help with engine compatibility, please!!