2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

What could be causing this?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 09:50 PM
whtdkta
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What could be causing this?

When i turn my wheel on my 99 dakota 5.2 4x4 the upper ball joints(I think that what they called they are the ball joints and the top ones) are hitting the inside of the rim. it has done this since i bought it a month ago, they are the stock rims, just wondering what would make it do this? I was thinking maybe they are the wrong balljoints? im not sure any ideas would be appreciated thank you.

Last edited by whtdkta; 12-18-2011 at 10:17 PM.
Old 12-18-2011, 10:20 PM
Xxaler
Professional

Anything look out of the ordinary? I would get a jack under that control arm and check the wheel bearing for play. How is 4x4 working? Any strange noise?

Old 12-19-2011, 09:44 PM
whtdkta

the wheel bearings were bad i had them changed a couple weeks ago. 4x4 works great nothing out of the ordinary. i did ride around with the bad wheel bearing for quite a little while and they were really bad wheel shook side to side a lot, maybe that messed them up?

Old 12-20-2011, 02:07 AM
macgollabhride
Professional

I agree - check the wheel bearings first!
If worn enough or worse, the original wheel bearings from 1999, you will absolutely have a considerable degree of play that will cause a problem like this.
I'm 99% sure that getting new bearings pressed in will take care of this.
If this doesn't do the trick...I'd get a Carfax to see if there was any kind of frontal collision/damage in it's history.

Old 12-21-2011, 08:07 PM
whtdkta

i had new wheel bearings put on two weeks ago, and the carfax is clean. Ill take to mechanic and see whats going on. thanks for the suggestions though

Quick Reply: What could be causing this?