2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Lost 2nd Gear

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 03:52 PM
CameraMan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Lost 2nd Gear

Driving home from work a few days ago, I shifted from first into second gear, and the gear lost it's bite. I have over 160k miles on it and I downshift regularly (something I was taught by my father), so I am thinking it is most likely the synchro, but what else might be the problem? Does anyone know if places like AAMCO will take a look and give a free estimate?

Old 12-21-2011, 06:04 AM
DakMan6704
Captain

I am facing a fear of 2nd gear failure as well. I would say someone would give an estimate, but with the gear gone (elaborate?, not engage, not go into 2nd at all, just grinds), they would probably spec a rebuild. I've seen 350 for the kit....feeling adventurous? DIY. I prob will in spring.

Old 12-21-2011, 11:35 PM
CameraMan

I guess I didn't go into much detail in my initial post:

That night, when I shifted from first into second, it grabbed the gear briefly, then made a dull "thud" sound, then it was as if the gear just slipped out. Shifting into second now, I feel a very slight catch (similar to shifting into gear with the clutch just not quite completely disengaged), but once the shift lever is in position, it's like a second neutral...just revs. All other gears work just fine, and there was nothing that I noticed prior to the incident that would have indicated significant wear (ie: no grinding, slipping, hard shifting, etc). I can't say that I have never been rough on my transmission in the past, but I mainly drive it like it is intended to be driven (just with constant downshifting in turns and braking).

Old 12-21-2011, 11:43 PM
Dodgeboy77
Veteran

i missed a gear in my daytona once and it took a few days for 3rd gear to come back. i must have burred up the gear and it wouldn't shift right until the burr was worn off. if you go for a trans fix, mechanics have recommended a replace with a different trans to me instead of a rebuild. if they miss something on the rebuild, you are stuck with it.

Quick Reply: Lost 2nd Gear