2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Looking at Second Gen Dakota 3.9 4x4 - Common Issues?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 06:24 PM
SRT-OSO
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at Second Gen Dakota 3.9 4x4 - Common Issues?

I read the FAQ and it seems to be oriented towards performance improvements, but I was hoping that there was a sticky of some sort that listed the things to look out for when shopping for one of these trucks. I'm looking at a 2001 3.9 4x4 with 99k miles on it. Looks like a nice truck, but I haven't had a chance to see if in person yet. I was planning on driving up to Flint, MI where it is this Saturday. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-27-2011, 07:53 PM
bpark8824
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ball joints can be trouble with 4x4 Dakotas. Is it an auto or manual? The automatic that came in the 3.9 is not a good transmission. Mine went at 125k miles and many have gone earlier, some later. It's just something to be aware of.

I would definitely look for one with a v8 too. Whether it's a 5.2 or 4.7. I've owned both a 3.9 and 4.7 and there is a huge difference and they are practically the same on gas.

If this truck is in real good shape and you like it that's fine, but you can find a v8 Dakota for similar prices. If you're fine with it, don't worry about it, but I thought I would warn you.

Last edited by bpark8824; 12-27-2011 at 07:56 PM.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:03 PM
1986JEEP
Professional

What he sad. The 3.9 is a little under powed (i have a 3.9)but very good motor and v6 automatic trannys suck but you mite get a good one this is just my opinon.

Old 12-28-2011, 03:45 AM
macgollabhride
Professional

Originally Posted by SRT-OSO
I read the FAQ and it seems to be oriented towards performance improvements, but I was hoping that there was a sticky of some sort that listed the things to look out for when shopping for one of these trucks. I'm looking at a 2001 3.9 4x4 with 99k miles on it. Looks like a nice truck, but I haven't had a chance to see if in person yet. I was planning on driving up to Flint, MI where it is this Saturday. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not speaking for all 2nd Gen Dakotas but I will offer my opinions based off of my 2nd Gen 1998 Dakota V6 3.9v 4x4 club-cab w/132k:
First-off, I personally think the 2nd Gens visually look great - the best so far.

Beyond that, I would first look at would could and won't pass inspection.
Electrical:
check-as-much-of-it-as-you-possibly-can!
If you have an after-market hitch, make sure the wiring is done right.
head, courtesy, turn-signal, reverse lights.
Ignition system - at least look at the spark plugs to make sure there's relatively equal wear on each of them to make sure everything is firing as it should.

Drive train:
Engine block/ Trans: damage/leaks.
Malignant rust - The body panels are always good to check but make sure to check the frame, manifolds (exhaust leaks).
Drive Shaft wear since it's a 4x4.

Always best to have a trusted mechanic to look it over - better to pay them $50 rather than take a chance and end up with a basket-case costing $700+ (so far) just to get it to pass inspection. But that's just common sense ...some of us didn't exercise that sense when purchasing their 98 Dakota ...last October.

ANYWAYS;
On-to Creature Comforts:
A/C system, heater core, vents/blowers.
Seats - cushions, support, frames. Also make sure you can adjust the seats (I didn't and I'm literally paying for it now - on multiple levels).

Paint:
I'm mighty sure the 2001's were still being painted with the crappy paint that peeled off starting from the hood and cab roof. My Dakota has been repainted because of this issue.

This sounds like I'm bashing the 2nd Gens which was NOT not intended.

Aside from the above listed; I can attest from experience that you can push these trucks beyond any Ranger and Tacoma with-in reason.
Two guys that I work with (Tacoma and a Ranger) ended up with bent rear axles when they were loaded up, well with-in their load rating, with pavers/brick. I picked up the full load of the Ranger and decent amount of the Tacoma's pay-load without issue. Just make sure you disengage the O/D!

Truth: The initial issues with my used (and abused) 1998 Dakota were beyond what I could have ever imagined but after some relatively minor work, it's a beast! The Dakota is considered a Mid-size but I've pressed it beyond that clasification. The MPG will most-always be a an issue however, the rugged capability is second-to-none.

I guess the question is; what do you want out of this truck?

Old 12-28-2011, 07:31 AM
bpark8824
Champion

Dakotas are a love/hate relationship for me. I love the size/engine/looks/interior side of it, but I've owned two and have had my fair share of problems. I love the truck to death but the first one had both the engine and trans replaced before 125k miles (3.9 auto), and my current one has had electrical problems but the engine and trans are in great shape (4.7 5 speed).

So I've spent more than I anticipated on it. My father's 2008 F150 has the same amount of miles as my truck only he hasn't had a single problem other than replacing the ball joints and a broken leaf (his truck gets abused!)

I love my truck but she sure can make me frustrated some times (as I'm currently dealing with a misfire/fuel pump issue).

I'm not trying to discourage you from buying a Dakota because you may buy it and never have a problem, I just want you to be aware that these trucks can be temperamental. Great truck functionality wise, but not as great reliability wise. Some people will come on here and tell you they have never spent a dime on theirs and others will tell you the same thing I did.

Old 12-28-2011, 04:56 PM
KZTim

I've got an 01 2wd manual 3.9 v6 and haven't had much trouble with it. I keep up with regular maintenance and such and the water pump is on its way out but other than that its a strong truck. My buddy has 4 different 2nd gen dakotas (3.9, 4.7, 2 5.9's) and he maintains them perfectly. I think the biggest parts he's had go yet are the serpentine idler, water pump, or fan clutch.

Old 12-29-2011, 09:10 AM
Ts610
Professional

I have a 2003 Quad with the 3.9. Everyone is right. The 3.9 is underpowered. I have had the truck for a few months and so far I have replaced the following:

Intermediate shaft
plugs
plug wires
cap and rotor
tps
iac valve
map sensor
heater resistor and blower motor

Now keep in mind the tune up items did not have to be replaced but I did them anyway. I was trying to get the truck to max performance. I still need to replace the governor pressure sensor and solenoid and do a fluid change in the transmission. I love the truck other than the gas mileage. Nothing I can really do about that. I will also be replacing the tie rod ends soon.

Old 12-29-2011, 09:40 AM
DaveChuck

I have a 1999 4x2 SLT. Just replaced a lower ball joint as well as a rear brake line due to rust.
The biggest thing I've noticed on other 1997-2002ish Dak's (includeing mine) is that there can be an excessive amount of rust. Depending on where the previous owner kept it, and how they treated it, there can be a lot of rust and paint chipping. I bought mine from an old guy who had originally bought the truck in Florida, but when he moved to Michigan he kept it outside 24/7 so there is a lot of rust by the wheel wells and along the bottom of the truck. Just a heads up, and something to inspect when you go and look at this Dak.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:10 AM
bpark8824
Champion

The wheel wells in the bed are rusting on mine as well as the bumper. Not too bad yet but its only a matter of time.

Old 12-29-2011, 02:17 PM
dirtbiker
Captain

Originally Posted by bpark8824
The wheel wells in the bed are rusting on mine as well as the bumper. Not too bad yet but its only a matter of time.
I'm starting to get some pretty large bubbles above one of the wheel wells, along the top of my windshield, and my bumper too. Even though I just redid the bumper less than a year ago... Oh well, rust happens

Quick Reply: Looking at Second Gen Dakota 3.9 4x4 - Common Issues?