2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Do's and Dont's of 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 03:09 PM
sxrsil3nt
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do's and Dont's of 4x4

Hi guys,

With my dak being my first truck, I just wanted to clarify some things about using 4x4.

Obviously use 2WD all the time unless you need 4x4, but what should be done prior to engaging 4x4?

Example: Here in Canada winter sucks, and we just had a major snow fall and 4x4 is key (especially with my crappy tires ... just wait ). When engaging 4x4, I know that you're supposed to use 4HI only on icy, snowy, sandy or muddy surfaces and never on dry/some wet surfaces, and only 4LO when you need a lower gear.

From what I've been told you're supposed to:

1. Stop the truck.
2. Throw it in Neutral.
3. Let truck roll a bit and then switch to 4HI
4. Wait a few seconds until its engaged
5. Throw it into Drive and Go.

I just wanted to make sure because I don't want to seriously mess anything up.

On a side note:

Just picked up 4 31x10.5R15 Goodyear Wrangler Territory tires. They look great and from what I've read they perform great too.

tires.jpg

Thanks guys!

Old 12-28-2011, 03:22 PM
DakCC4x4
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

For 4 hi it is shift on the fly under 45 or 50 mph i believe. For 4lo you will need to be stopped pretty much and put the truck in neutral. If the mud is real thick then you may need 4lo or pulling something offroad to make it easier on the tranny. Those tires are good from what i hear. And they are Wrangler Authoritys btw lol

Old 12-28-2011, 03:23 PM
thunder98110
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

well, it depends if you have the the electric shifter for 4x4 or the lever on the floor. with the electric, you can shift on the fly into 4hi. in 4low you have to be stopped or at a slow roll and either be in P or N. i wouldnt use 4low on ice, it will give you too much torque down low and end up just spinning even more.

Old 12-28-2011, 04:36 PM
Xxaler
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2002 is the electric shifter I believe? If so, you can shift on the fly to 4hi below 40km/h. Have to be stopped, and in neutral in order to shift into 4lo.

If you don't use your 4x4 often, I would suggest hopping under, popping the fill plug and checking your gear oil, make sure it's topped up (fill line is basically the bottom of the fill port) and in good condition. Throughout the summer when you don't use it often, just into 4x4 when going down a straight road here and there to give it a quick work out.

Old 12-28-2011, 04:37 PM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just pop it into 4HI under 45...make sure no tires are spinning, the motors as close to idle as possible and it helps if your going straight...the big part tho is just making sure the wheels aren't spinning and your out of the gas.

Old 12-28-2011, 05:00 PM
Xxaler
Professional

By the way, just snagged the same tires as you aswell.

$500 cash deal out of Newmarket the other week, they're a bit loud but they grip really good... I can't even drift around the impound at work anymore!

Make sure you get some nice rims to compliment them though! Soft 8 style steel rims really make them look awesome.

Old 12-28-2011, 06:23 PM
bpark8824
Champion

Yeah you can do it on the fly but I tend to slow down a little and be coasting without my foot on the gas. You can probably still do it with your foot on the gas but its just piece of mind for me I guess. I'm pretty careful even though you can easily do it whenever you want.

For 4LO make sure you're at a complete stop! I turned the **** too far into 4LO once will I was still moving (5mph) and I heard some grinding...

Old 12-28-2011, 06:38 PM
sxrsil3nt
Record Breaker

Okay thanks guys and yes the 02 option has the electronic shifter.

I'll make sure to check the fluid!

Old 12-28-2011, 08:14 PM
bpark8824
Champion

If the truck is new (to you) you might just think about changing all the fluids. You never know if its ever been done or how long it was and they're pretty easy. Do both diffs and the transfer case. If your trans is a manual you can do that too but if its an automatic you will need to have a shop flush it. It might cost $50-$100 but its worth it with that transmission. I just did all of mine at the end of the summer.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:11 PM
ksJoe
Rookie

Originally Posted by bpark8824
if its an automatic you will need to have a shop flush it.
I flush my own automatic transmissions. It requires two people, here's what I do - use at your own risk:

1) if it has a replaceable filter drop the pan and do that first, then reinstall the pan and refill to the proper level.
2) disconnect the ATF lines at the cooler.
3) assistant starts the engine for a couple seconds then shuts it off. One of the lines will suck air, the other will (slowly) squirt fluid. Reconnect the line that sucks (to suck the cooler dry).
4) connect 2 feet of clear hose to the ATF line that squirts. Put the other end in a 1 gallon oil jug with quart markings (or a bucket you put quart markings on with a marker).
5) assistant puts on the parking brake and starts the engine
6) when the bucket has about 1/2 quart, start pouring more in the fill tube. You should have 1 quart of new in when the bucket has quart in it.
7) After a quart or two the assistant starts shifting through the gears (L, D, R, etc). Don't move the vehicle, and don't rev it up, just let it idle while going through the gears.
8) continue adding ATF at the pace it flows out until you see the fluid brighten thats coming out the clear hose (that's why you want clear!).
9) Reconnect the other squirting cooler line and check the ATF level.

I read about this on another site. I've done it myself once. When I get some time I'll do it the dakota I recently bought.