2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Loud Crunching Noise When Turning/Slowing Down

Old 01-02-2012, 07:57 PM
sxrsil3nt
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Loud Crunching Noise When Turning/Slowing Down

Hi guys,

Just brought the dak out today for a drive and out of no where I heard and felt a loud crunching noise either coming from the front end of the truck or directly below the driver seat. At first I thought it might have been ice or something just getting caught in the truck but it kept on happening randomly especially when turning and coming to a stop. It didn't always happen, but when it made that noise it was enough to make you cringe.

I just put on 31x10.5R15 tires on it, before it had considerably smaller P235/70R/15's on it. I was also told that the wheel bearing needed replacement but the truck just passed safety 1,000 kms ago so I said leave it. (Figured it was just Canadian Tire trying to get some extra cash. )

Sure enough I jacked it up and there was hardly any play in the wheel, a little bit, but no where near needing replacement. Could this infact be the bearing?

It has never done it, I was in 2WD the entire time.

Thanks guys

Old 01-02-2012, 08:41 PM
ibcnul8r
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My first check would be the short drive shaft to the front wheels. look for a torn boot where it connects to the transfer case. If that checks out ok, I would then check your CV drive shafts for your front wheels.

Not sure if the larger tires would make your short drive shaft mess things up or not. it does need to float a little fore and aft.

Check those few things and let us know.

Old 01-02-2012, 11:00 PM
BLSHOG10
Rookie

plus one on the torn boot i had a similar problem when turning on short turns to the right

Old 01-03-2012, 01:13 AM
Boris1059

Could be the bearings, but I think it would be noisy all the time. If bad, you might feel the brakes shudder when the pads are gripping the rotor (and stopping it from wobbling) too. Good idea to check out the CV. I'm doing a bearing (hub) replacement on my '99 Ram right now.

Old 01-03-2012, 02:28 AM
01blackdak
Professional

I'd defiantly check the CV.
As Boris1059 said, do you feel the brakes shudder and does the whole front end of the truck feel like it shakes when you brake?

Old 01-03-2012, 09:48 AM
sxrsil3nt
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No the truck still feels pretty solid when braking and driving normal.

I'll crawl under today and let you guys know what I see.

Thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Loud Crunching Noise When Turning/Slowing Down