2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

I'm screwed X 2.....brake issue(s)

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 11:17 AM
corpusfisherman
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy I'm screwed X 2.....brake issue(s)

alright guys, I really goofed up....my power steering pump and brake fluid reservoirs were getting a little low last month, so I popped the hood and grabbed the fluids....problemo is, I accidentally put power steering fluid in my brake reservoir

now, the brakes still work, but are a little spongy.....so, yesterday I crawled under the truck and started to bleed the lines....problemo #2 started when I snapped the bleeder valve off....I live in a salty environment, and without dust caps on the bleeder valves, they were about gone.....problemo #3 compounded itsself when I snapped off an easy-out into said snapped off bleeder valve....

so, the thing still drives and brakes, but they're spongy and I really want to bleed that crap out and get new stuff in there.....

short of replacing the whole caliper (which I'm seriously trying to avoid), what are my options?
thanks,
screwed in Texas...

Old 12-21-2011, 11:42 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Default only one option

Only one option new caliper not too bad around $25 to $45 that’s all easy to do if your brake pads are still good then that’s it.

But you have another problem your power steering fluid needs changing ASAP before you trash it and your steering rack yes ASAP.

You also need to flush your brake lines get a big bottle of cheap AutoZone brake fluid.

Old 12-21-2011, 12:25 PM
corpusfisherman
Rookie

Originally Posted by 98DAKAZ
Only one option new caliper not too bad around $25 to $45 that’s all easy to do if your brake pads are still good then that’s it.

But you have another problem your power steering fluid needs changing ASAP before you trash it and your steering rack yes ASAP.

You also need to flush your brake lines get a big bottle of cheap AutoZone brake fluid.
dang, that's what I was afraid of, and has already been recommended to me....was looking for alternatives.....calipers are a little more here in TX at $70 each, have to do both because the other bleeder valve isn't in any better shape.....I supposed I could try snapping that one off too, LOL...gotta find out one way or another whether I gotta do both the bleed the system...

the power steering is fine (except for a small leak somewhere), it got the correct fluid and is 5 by 5 for now....

and yeah, brake pads are fairly new, tons of wear left on them....

thanks....anyone else?
CF

Old 12-21-2011, 12:32 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Default thats kind of high

thats kind of high you looked around for a better price.

Is that with the core charge if so then you may only be paying the $45 after you return the old ones and get some money back.

Old 12-21-2011, 12:58 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Default prices

some prices shipping is not included so ad to the price. rockauto.com

This is for my 98 Dak base truck with the 2.5L

Old 12-21-2011, 01:08 PM
bwdakrt
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have some bad news for you. You're probably going to have to everything in your brake system that has rubber seals and cups...master cylinder, front and rear rubber brake hoses, calipers, rear wheel cylinders and in all good probability the ABS control unit. Power steering fluid will cause any rubber components in the brake system to swell and become very soft. Take the cap off the brake reservoir and check the rubber seal. If it's swelled and distorted it's already to late.

DO NOT drive the truck because your brakes could fail instantly. It's not safe.

Old 12-21-2011, 01:16 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

I'm with bwdakrt, but more definite.

Don't even TRY to reuse anything in the brake system. Replace everything including the master cylinder. Flush the metal lines out thoroughly. The seals in the system will be damaged, already have.

It's an expensive mistake but it happens. Don't compound it by trying to drive the vehicle, losing your brakes, and getting hurt or hurting someone else.

Your steering, I'd flush that ASAP, run it a while, and flush it again. Worst case, you lose power steering but at least you can still steer the truck.

Old 12-21-2011, 01:20 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Unhappy yea

Yea he should of dumped his fluid ASAP before he trashed the complete system same with the power steering.

Maybe he will get lucky and the power steering fluid just floated on top of the brake fluid and didn’t mix in.

He should suck out what he put in the master cylinder tank maybe it’s just sitting on top of the brake fluid.

Old 12-21-2011, 01:28 PM
bwdakrt
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 98DAKAZ
Yea he should of dumped his fluid ASAP before he trashed the complete system same with the power steering.

Maybe he will get lucky and the power steering fluid just floated on top of the brake fluid and didn’t mix in.

He should suck out what he put in the master cylinder tank maybe it’s just sitting on top of the brake fluid.
He put PS fluid in the PS reservoir but he also put the PS fluid in the Brake reservoir. The PS system is fine but the complete brake system is toast.

As said, it's a VERY expensive lesson that will not be soon forgotten.

Old 12-21-2011, 02:18 PM
crateampsrock
Veteran

Originally Posted by bwdakrt
I have some bad news for you. You're probably going to have to everything in your brake system that has rubber seals and cups...master cylinder, front and rear rubber brake hoses, calipers, rear wheel cylinders and in all good probability the ABS control unit. Power steering fluid will cause any rubber components in the brake system to swell and become very soft. Take the cap off the brake reservoir and check the rubber seal. If it's swelled and distorted it's already to late.

DO NOT drive the truck because your brakes could fail instantly. It's not safe.
I totally agree with above statement. Im a technician for Midas in Texas. Brake line rubber is not formulated for power steering fluid. PS fluid will degrade brake lines rapidly. Any rubber in the system is contaminated and will eventually lead to catastrophic brake failure. It could take days, it could take years... Its really not that bad. New calipers, brake lines which lead to calipers which are about $45 each, only 3 of them. What is going to hurt is the ABS control module... Anything with rubber seals... I did an Expedition a few months ago that did the same exact thing. Cost a total of about $1500... Sorry bro...

Quick Reply: I'm screwed X 2.....brake issue(s)