2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Need help!! 3 different check engine codes

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 03:48 PM
yzviper366
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help!! 3 different check engine codes

Hello,

I am new to the site and have a 2003 dodge dakota 4.7 that I have noticed is not running the best. One day it just died out of no where at a stop light and I put it in park and started right back up and hasnt done it since. Another day I just got off work and went to start my pick up and cranked it over for about 1 minute before it started up.

I have a craftsman code reader and I hooked it up and got three different codes.

First code is P0441 generic evaporative emission system incorrect purge.

Second code is P0340 camshaft position sensor A circuit (Bank 1 or sinle sensor).

Third code is P0335 crankshaft position sensor A circuit.

I have been doing some reading on the site and it seems the way to fix the second code is to buy and install a new sensor. But, I have no clue where the senor is located and what needs to be installed. Whether I need to just pull the senor and put a new one in or if I need to get the engine at TDC or what needs to be done. If someone could send me some pictures on the location of the sensor that would be awesome.

Also, if anyone could tell me what needs to be done about the other codes I have. Whether its another sensor that needs changing or what. Any info on what needs to be done or where the senors ar located, how to change them etc. Any info. is welcome, wanted, and needed.

If you have any pictures of the location of the sensors you can give me you can send to Yamaharacing_fmf_13@hotmail.com anything you can give would be much appriecatied.

Thanks,
Matt

Old 01-06-2012, 03:52 PM
shadowwolfx
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well the problem that you had sounded like a bad fuel pump or fuel filter, but dont take my word alone for it.

im not sure about the codes though, possibly a vacuum leak for the first.
ill see if i cant do some studying and get back to you for more info.
also mine dies when its put into reverse sometimes... dodges seem to be known for exhaust leaks, mine has one right now infact, has ever since i got it lol.

EDIT:
code 1.

causes.
  • Bad vacuum switch
  • Broken or damaged EVAP line or canister
  • Open in PCM purge command circuit
  • Open or short in Voltage feed circuit to Purge Solenoid
  • Faulty purge solenoid
  • Restriction in EVAP solenoid, line or canister
  • Corrosion or resistance in purge connector
  • Bad PCM

solutions.

With a P0441 OBD-II trouble code, diagnosis can be tricky at times. Here are some things to try:
  • Common Chrysler fix - Replace Leak Detection Pump / LDP
  • Repair damaged EVAP lines or canister
  • Repair open or short in voltage feed circuit to Purge Solenoid
  • Repair open in PCM purge command circuit
  • Replace purge Solenoid
  • Replace vacuum switch
  • Repair restriction in Evap line or canister or soleniod
  • Repair resistance in purge connector
  • Replace PCM
code 2

Causes

A code P0340 could mean one or more of the following has happened:
  • a wire or connector in the circuit could be grounded/shorted/broken
  • the camshaft position sensor may have failed
  • the PCM may have failed
  • there exists an open circuit
  • the crankshaft position sensor may have failed
Possible Solutions

With a P0340 OBD-II trouble code, diagnosis can be tricky at times. Here are some things to try:
  • Visually inspect all the wiring and connectors in the circuit
  • Check for continuity in the circuit wiring
  • Check the operation (voltage) of the camshaft position sensor
  • Replace the camshaft position sensor as required
  • Check the crankshaft position circuit as well
  • Replace circuit wiring and/or connectors as required
  • Diagnose/replace the PCM as required

code 3

Causes

A P0335 "check engine light" code could be caused by:
  • Damaged CKP sensor connector
  • Damaged reluctor ring (missing teeth or not turning due to sheared-off keyway)
  • Sensor output open
  • Sensor output shorted to ground
  • Sensor output shorted to voltage
  • Failed crank sensor
  • Broken timing belt
  • Failed PCM
Possible Solutions

1. Using a scan tool, check if, when engine is running or cranking, that there is an RPM signal.
  2. If there is no RPM reading, then visually inspect the crank sensor and connector for any damage and repair as necessary. If there is no visible damage, and you have access to a scope, you could check the CKP 5 Volt square wave pattern. If you do not, then, obtain a resistance reading of your crank sensor from a repair manual. (There are so many different types of crank sensors that there's no way to put here which resistance reading is correct). Then check the resistance of the CKP sensor by disconnecting the sensor and measuring resistance of the sensor. (It is best to check resistance readings from the PCM connector. This rules out any wiring problems from the start. But it does require some mechanical skill and shouldn't be performed if you\'re not familiar with automobile electrical systems). Is the sensor within resistance specs?
  3. If not, replace the CKP sensor. If so, recheck resistance reading from the PCM connector. Is the reading still okay?
  4. If not, repair open or short in the wiring to the crank sensor and re-check. If the reading is okay, the problem is intermittent or the PCM may be at fault. Try reconnecting and checking for RPM signal again. If there is now an RPM signal, wiggle test the wiring harness to try and induce the fault.

Last edited by shadowwolfx; 01-06-2012 at 04:02 PM.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:45 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I will move this to the 2nd Generation Dakota sub-forum.

Quick Reply: Need help!! 3 different check engine codes