2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Dakota newb with a couple questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 10:25 AM
rwilhelms
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dakota newb with a couple questions

So I'm new to Dakotas I've owned 3 rams so far and finally decided I need to get some better gas mileage. So I'm wondering what kind of gas mileage people get with the different options. Auto/manual v6/v8 5.2l/4.7l. I'm also wondering what motor is more reliable? I know all about the plenum problems from the v8's in the rams and I would guess that the v6 has the same problem seeing as how its a magnum motor? I've also heard bad things about the oil pumps on the 4.7s. I think the combination that I would love to have the most would be a 97-99 4x4 5.2l manual but I'm guessing it'll be hard to find locally and not get much better gas mileage than the rams. Any insight on these subjects will be a great help in my vehicle search.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:40 AM
bpark8824
Champion

The 4.7 with a 5 speed is your best bet for reliability and gas mileage. With 4wd and an extended cab I was averaging 17.5 - 18.5 all summer, but that number drops quite a bit in the winter.

Automatics have problems (which I'm sure you know from owning other Dodge trucks) and the 5.2/5.9s suck gas and are less reliable than the 4.7. The 3.9 is a dog and gets about the same gas mileage as the v8's so it's not worth it (trust me I've been there). I don't have any experience with the 3.7 v6 but if it's basically the same as the 4.7 it might get the best gas mileage of all the motors but will have less power.

Btw I love the ram in your sig.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:45 AM
misfitdakota_95
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bpark8824, I agree with you 50%. The 4.7 is a better choice for fuel economy, and the automatics are weak point, the best way to extend the life of these transmission is an aftermarket oil cooler. However, not sure if you have encountered it, but at least 75% of the 4.7's I had dealt with have had oil sludging problems in the upper cylinder heads because they have narrow oil galleries in the heads. I've seen them get bad enough that it gums up the chain and/or tensioners and cause the cam(s) to jump time.

I've had 3 magnum engines, two 3.9s and a 5.2 and other than the plenum gasket and water pumps, I've never had any problems with Magnum engines. @ rwilhelms, if you can find a 1997-1999 5.2 4x4, IMHO, that's your best bet for reliability. Again, this is based on my personal experience and repair history that I have personally done. Not trying to start a war, just giving my two cents

Old 01-12-2012, 11:49 AM
rwilhelms
Veteran

Thanks for the info from what I've encountered is that the 318s are very reliable motors but all the magnum series motors suck gas. My friends has an original 3.9 in his Dakota and it has over 300k on it and there's actually a Dakota with a 318 on craigslist with 347k. How's the power of the 4.7 compared to the 5.2 cause if from my experience is that the 5.2 is a very underpowered motor but that was my first ram and didn't know anything about the plenum at the time.

And Thanks I actually just sold the ram in my Sig it looks good in pictures but standing next to it everytime I'd look at it I'd find something else wrong with it. I didn't realize it had a salvage title when I bought it and it went downhill from there.

Old 01-12-2012, 12:27 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Skip the v6 not worth it. The 5.2 vs the 4.7 they are pretty much the same. They each have pro's and cons. Either way you go if you have a manual you will get about the same mpg maybe 1 or 2 less then the 4.7 but you have to remember the 5.2 is a old school motor. I was getting 13-15 in mine with a auto but I have intake exhaust and tuner. I also found spending 10 cents extra at the gas pump helped my mpg buy 1 or 2mpgs.

Old 01-12-2012, 01:14 PM
bpark8824
Champion

Originally Posted by misfitdakota_95
bpark8824, I agree with you 50%. The 4.7 is a better choice for fuel economy, and the automatics are weak point, the best way to extend the life of these transmission is an aftermarket oil cooler. However, not sure if you have encountered it, but at least 75% of the 4.7's I had dealt with have had oil sludging problems in the upper cylinder heads because they have narrow oil galleries in the heads. I've seen them get bad enough that it gums up the chain and/or tensioners and cause the cam(s) to jump time.

I've had 3 magnum engines, two 3.9s and a 5.2 and other than the plenum gasket and water pumps, I've never had any problems with Magnum engines. @ rwilhelms, if you can find a 1997-1999 5.2 4x4, IMHO, that's your best bet for reliability. Again, this is based on my personal experience and repair history that I have personally done. Not trying to start a war, just giving my two cents
I guess it's just all about the experiences you've had. I've owned a 3.9 automatic and both the motor and trans were replaced before 125k miles which is ridiculous in my mind. Seeing as the 3.9 is identical to the 5.2 and 5.9 I can only assume they have similar issues.

The 4.7 is a newer, more up to date motor, and in my opinion, far more reliable. I've never encountered any problems with my 4.7 and we have 2 Rams with 4.7s at work, both with more than 200k miles and both still run great.

I guess some people have better luck with certain setups than others...

Old 01-12-2012, 01:23 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I have a 2001 extended cab with a 3.9. It has 148,800 miles on it, which is the most miles I have ever had on any vehicle. It had 41,000 miles on it when I bought it used on New Year's Eve 2005. It is also the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. It has never let me down and never left me walking. I would not hesitate even for one second to hop in and drive it across the country and back.

My 3.9 is not the fastest truck on the street, that is a fact. But it does well enough to suit me. I don't do any towing or heavy hauling and I don't go off-road. I drive it easy and try to keep a normal and consistent speed, and use my cruise control as much as possible on the highway. I keep my truck tuned up and the right air pressure in my tires. I routinely get about 16 to 17 MPG in combined city and highway driving.

I love my truck, it has been the best and most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. Sometimes I think it might be nice to have another newer truck that could do better on gas and have more power but my Dakota is paid for. That alone is worth way more to me than any new truck might be, plus I don't want to be making payments again. I plan to keep my truck in good shape and drive it until the wheels fall of it or the day I die, which ever happens frst.

Jimmy

Old 01-12-2012, 02:24 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Talking base Dakota 2.5L 5 manual 1998

My Dakota was a spur of the moment purchase back in 1999 and a repo truck saw it at the dealer covered in bird poop it looked like hell and the sales man didnt even want to talk about it so I got it at a great deal with air tossed in.

I love this truck rides great runs great has had no major problems never tested my gas millage its little 4 what can you say.

But the little 4 sucks at times no power its just a nice street truck gets you were you want and its reliable as all hell.

Old 01-13-2012, 08:21 AM
rwilhelms
Veteran

Thanks all great info. Also does anyone have any good or negative advise on 2 wheel drives? Id prefer to have a 4x4 but really only need a truck for hunting and pulling a little 16ft aluminum boat. For hunting I drive a lane probably 1/2 mile through a field and normally can get down there with my taurus during the summer but come fall if it rains there are some low spots that get pretty soupy I've never had to put my rams in 4x4 to get through but don't know if a 2wd would do it.
Also did they make 4.7's with a manual trans cause I have not seen it on any of the trucks I've looked at online.

Last edited by rwilhelms; 01-13-2012 at 09:09 AM.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:39 AM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rwilhelms
Thanks all great info. Also does anyone have any good or negative advise on 2 wheel drives? Id prefer to have a 4x4 but really only need a truck for hunting and pulling a little 16ft aluminum boat. For hunting I drive a lane probably 1/2 mile through a field and normally can get down there with my taurus during the summer but come fall if it rains there are some low spots that get pretty soupy I've never had to put my rams in 4x4 to get through but don't know if a 2wd would do it.
Also did they make 4.7's with a manual trans cause I have not seen it on any of the trucks I've looked at online.
2wd will prob do you fine if you were were really worried about it throw a few sand bags in the bed and as long as it has a set of good tires on it, it will do fine. Yes they pair the 4.7's with a manual though it is a rare option.

Quick Reply: Dakota newb with a couple questions