2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

'03 4.7L Water Pump replaced

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 10:26 PM
jlampitt
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '03 4.7L Water Pump replaced

This was an interesting weekend. Yesterday morning my wife says, "what's that stuff dripping under your truck?" Thinking it was just water from all the snowmelt we just drove through, I didn't think much of it... until we started backing out of the parking space and I lost ALL steering. So what does loss of steering have to do with my water pump?

The last three weeks or so, my water pump has (unknowingly) been leaking onto the serpentine belt, causing the belt to start slipping... which means it wasn't driving the power steering pump (as well)... which was making steering really tight. Yesterday, something blew spewing coolant EVERYWHERE, the serpentine belt flung the stuff everywhere in the engine compartment and the belt just started slipping over all the pulley's. Pretty damn scary actually, as I wasn't sure what was wrong at first. I thought maybe my power steering pump blew or something.

Anyway, I had an ASE Certified mechanic friend of mine look at it and he confirmed it was the water pump. The project was fairly straight forward, with exception to getting the fan clutch off. I have one of those Chilton manuals and it mentioned I needed a fan clutch wrench. It even show's a picture. What the book didn't say is that for the 4.7L engine, you actually need a...

fan clutch pulley holding tool!!

Boy, what a pain. I had to make my own pulley holding tool. Hopefully someone will read this sometime down the road and find out before they start their project. Just google it.

My project went pretty well but it's a messy job dealing with all the coolant and such. I should have replaced the thermostat while I was in there.

Old 01-16-2012, 08:14 AM
crateampsrock
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Matco makes a lovely little device that slips onto a air hammer... Works everytime and will not damage the nut at all. Thing is awesome... little expensive but well worth it if you plan on doing several of them. Ive had mine for a couple years and have used it on my truck atleast a dozen times...takes 2 seconds... you almost laugh at how easy that was.

http://reviews.matcotools.com/7535-e...ws/reviews.htm

Quick Reply: '03 4.7L Water Pump replaced