2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Strange vibration from engine.

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 08:39 PM
tomcat0870
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ive been having the same problem. up until a week ago. I changed the tranny completely rebuilt, then the people who fixed it never tightened the tranny oil pan got that fixed, and now as of saturday jan 21, the truck vibrates like crazy. The check engine light starts to blink once i accelerate past 55mph then if i turn overdrive on and off at 65mph the blinking stops but i the vibration is still there. When i go from a dead stop at a red light the truck vibrates so much i can hear stuff hit against the bed. This is my only vehicle and my wife works so i do not know what it is. Any one have any idea what it may be? yes the check engine light stays on.

Old 01-24-2012, 09:10 PM
milkman82
Amateur

Originally Posted by tomcat0870
ive been having the same problem. up until a week ago. I changed the tranny completely rebuilt, then the people who fixed it never tightened the tranny oil pan got that fixed, and now as of saturday jan 21, the truck vibrates like crazy. The check engine light starts to blink once i accelerate past 55mph then if i turn overdrive on and off at 65mph the blinking stops but i the vibration is still there. When i go from a dead stop at a red light the truck vibrates so much i can hear stuff hit against the bed. This is my only vehicle and my wife works so i do not know what it is. Any one have any idea what it may be? yes the check engine light stays on.
Ohh I see how this is! You are going to hijack my topic like this?

Old 02-09-2012, 12:03 AM
milkman82
Amateur

Well I finally got around to having the truck looked at today. Sadly, I think the quality of Mechanics has gone down...

The first Mechanic I went to I have used a few times and has done great work.
I first stopped in there, they had me turn the truck on and put it in drive with the brake on, then reverse, then neutral. Then the mechanic had me hop in the passenger seat while he took it for a test drive. He looked really puzzled and when we got back to the shop he had the other mechanic watch the engine with him while I pushed on the gas. He said I dunno, seems like it could be a clogged exhaust. He gave me the card of a muffler shop and said have them look at it and see what they say.

I took it to the muffler shop and they looked the truck over. They said the issue is not exhaust, it's tune up related.

So I took it to another mechanic shop. They had me do the same thing as the first shop. However, this time they had me stay in the truck and put it on the lift while I rev'ed the engine and shifted gears.

He said it's an exhaust issue, he said who ever did the exhaust system did not put in a flex joint. So I told him how the muffler shop said everything looked good on the exhaust and they said it is engine related. I asked the mechanic if this would fix the issue he replied "well it needs one away way". So I told him I will try and stop back tomorrow and see about getting the piece put on.

I personally just don't think it's an exhaust issue. The truck vibrates on the highway so hard when accelerating to the point the mirrors shake and you can't even see out of them...

Well just a little while ago, when I was half way to my destination, I heard the truck chime and the check gauges light came on. I noticed the oil pressure had just dropped to red on the gauge. I had no place to pull over so I decided to F it and just keep going. It started loosing power and finally got to an exit. While getting off the highway the engine started knocking.

I turned the truck off right away and let it sit. After about 15mins I started it back up and this time it had oil pressure back within the brackets. However, the pressure did not increase with accelerating. However, the knocking noise was gone. So, I decided to drive it over to one of the rental properties and just park it for a few hours. When part way there the pressure dropped back in the red again and the knocking came back. I thought screw it at this point and just kept going. To my surprise it made it all the way there and gave no issues besides low pressure.

After it sat for a few hours, I finally started it back up and drove it home. The oil pressure stayed in the safe zone the whole way home and the knocking went away. However, the pressure remains static to the point it looks like the gauge is locked or something. Pressure does not fluctuate what so ever. Just stays right within the bracket bordering the left.

The more I started thinking about it. Could this vibration be caused by a torque converter?

Just so strange how now this has led into oil pressure issues. Hoping, it's not turning into a bearing issue as well.

Yes, it does have oil, I checked after I first parked it.

Quick Reply: Strange vibration from engine.