2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

reverse sounds weird

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 12:48 PM
Brian_
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default reverse sounds weird

well as my topic says my reverse has a weird sound to it. i was playing in the snow and had to put it in reverse and it was like a vroom / whining sound. id like to say, but wasn't a grinding sound.

i also discovered my abs doesnt work yet on the dash it doesn't light up, as not working. neither does my 4x4 indicator. i know it was in 4x4 though, since i was throwing snow all over with the front wheels lmao.

i hate to say this but maybe its time for a rebuild of my ax15?

Last edited by Brian_; 01-21-2012 at 12:53 PM.
Old 01-21-2012, 03:38 PM
Dakota Greg
Professional

Got a similar problem with my truck with the hum/while in reverse. Lights all work fine for me so you got a diff problem there. As for the abs its for your rear only I believe unless the first owner paid for the 4 wheel which was rare. So abs totally sucks on these trucks.

Old 01-21-2012, 04:35 PM
Brian_
Captain

oh alright thanks. its really bugging me

heres my next question i was doing donuts in the snow and someone had told me i would wreck my tranny and transfer case. it was a couple spins at a steady 2k-2 1/2k rpm. any real damage that can be caused? i also did a quick little hill climb, slope wasnt too bad.

Old 01-21-2012, 09:50 PM
Dakota Greg
Professional

I do doughnuts at 5k sometimes. Tcase finally needs a fluid flush after 2 years of bloody 17yo driving murder on the truck. This truck gets redlined twice a day min on school days. goes through mud holes at 35 that a lifted blazer goes through at 10. Dakotas are the little truck that can be abused and then keep running.

At 2-2.5 k you are in no danger for your tranny, as for your tcase depends on if you had it locked in 4wd when you did doughnuts, if you did that can put a lot of strain on it if you arent in some nice deep snow or on ice. I dont believe you did that because you would have felt some major clunking, binding, and loud poping.

Also if your tcase was making the sound it would make it all the time, no gears are moved around when you switch from P, D, R N. Only gears are for low gearing through the tcase and a chain drives the front axle off the rear drive line. (not trying to make you look stupid if you allready know this, some people dont so im trying to cover all i know)

Keep in mine I have a 99 5.2 with I believe a 44rfe tranny. You might have different.

Old 01-21-2012, 10:38 PM
Brian_
Captain

oh no man its totally fine. i dont claim to be any expert and i like to read some good info.

when i was doing my donuts about 3 inches of snow it was in 2wd as i checked my manual lever on floor. also since the wheel didnt feel super tight as i was spinning, i was told that a good way to determine if your in 4wd or not.

when i did my little hill climb it was in 4h, as i was told its really bad to put it in 4l.

other then that my other question is say i get stuck in 4wd how do i get her back to 2wd. this is my first truck and i want it to last for a good while.

Old 01-22-2012, 01:05 AM
MoparMan1991
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not trying to threadjack here but I see you have the same headlights that I do and I was wanting to ask you if your lights put out weird V shapes (Dark spots) on the ground on front of you?

Old 01-22-2012, 10:40 AM
Brian_
Captain

actually yeah they do i thought maybe it was a flaw just with mine, but they were also suppose to send me the black tinted lights instead of the clear ones. i have no clue how to get that spot away though

Old 01-28-2012, 01:29 AM
Dakota Greg
Professional

Originally Posted by Brian_
oh no man its totally fine. i dont claim to be any expert and i like to read some good info.

when i was doing my donuts about 3 inches of snow it was in 2wd as i checked my manual lever on floor. also since the wheel didnt feel super tight as i was spinning, i was told that a good way to determine if your in 4wd or not.

when i did my little hill climb it was in 4h, as i was told its really bad to put it in 4l.

other then that my other question is say i get stuck in 4wd how do i get her back to 2wd. this is my first truck and i want it to last for a good while.
I would say your totally fine. Trying to do a nice doughnut in 4wd is a b**** unless on ice.

As far as I know the low gear is no different then the high besides a like 2.73:1 reduction in speed and increase in torque I believe. Might burn up some tranny stuff if you punch it a ton. You will probably see me in a year I would guess asking for help for a manual swap.

As for the occasional 4wd stuck. Just drive it till it disengages. Maybe reverse and not so sharp turns as to not bind the system. If it never releases and you wont need it for a while remove the front drive shaft from the tcase or the cv shafts. If it happens to me ill either deal with it or do both because i absolutely hate the binding in corners.

Any more questions? I might not be able to answer all but I have a fairly good mechanical understanding of vehicles. (Especially my kota) And electronics. Automatic transmissions confuse me though.

Quick Reply: reverse sounds weird