2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Engine squeak

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 11:36 PM
99v6Dakota
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Engine squeak

So for the last couple of weeks my engine has had a really loud squeak, i believe its the belt on a pulley I was wondering if anyone has any clue what it will be?

Old 01-22-2012, 10:54 AM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Prob the belt. If that doesnt work try the idler pulley.

Old 02-03-2012, 12:38 AM
Dakota Greg
Professional

What is the squeak like? 1 Does it start off really loud and always stay that way? 2 Does it go away after it warms up? 3 Does it just squeak for a few seconds and then go away?

The type of squeak can help narrow down the problem. Also when did this start? Has the cold weather somehow caused it? I have had 3 different squeals and squeals. 1 was the belt, second was the WATER PUMP! It failed and that sucked major. Coolant everywhere. And 3rd was tensioner and idler pulley.

Old 02-03-2012, 08:59 PM
macgollabhride
Professional
Default We may have the same issue

We may have the same issue. I got a lot of great direction from my post; maybe it will be helpful to?

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...e-to-town.html

Old 02-04-2012, 08:57 AM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Indeed so; I know I've posted on a few posts about the squeak The sound did not start happening until after i started messing with the Tensioner and stuff.. So I'm not 100% positive; but I'll tell you pay attention to that water pump;

crateampsrock was checking my engine with a Mech's T-Scope and the sound came from the tensioner while it bounced "twitched" he sorta pointed out my pulley on my water pump looks bent.. so I suspect b-c of the problem causing the tens. to twitch is also causing the cold belt to squeak.

Could be the source; so you might take these guys advise very closely replace the cheap parts and see where you get. I would start with a belt first before you start messing with other things. I started my problem pre-mature because I wanted to replace pullies.. "preventive maintenance." before I did not have a problem like that.. ROFL

Might just be putting aside a little green for a spare water pump LOL!Looks like they used an all in one assembly on my water pump..

Quick Reply: Engine squeak