2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Squealing under the hood since the cold weather came to town

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012 | 09:49 PM
macgollabhride
|
Professional
Default Squealing under the hood since the cold weather came to town

Since it started getting cold out I've been hearing this really annoying squealing sound from under the hood. I never had a problem like this before in any of my past vehicles and I’m having a tough time trying to isolate exactly where the sound is coming from. I can’t tell if it’s the belt (only 6 months old), or pulleys, or what.
Anyone have a similar issue like this and/or have any suggestions on what to do to quiet it?

Last edited by macgollabhride; 01-23-2012 at 11:04 PM. Reason: 's' on pulley
Old 01-24-2012 | 07:11 AM
New 2 Dodge
Professional

If it only happens when it starts up then yes, I have it occasionally. It just makes one quick squeal and that's it?

Old 01-24-2012 | 11:26 AM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

mine does too right now; i have a bran new belt (Cheap one though) and it does it a squeak squeak squeak untill it gets warmed up enough it stops..

I've replaced the tensioner; idler and belt.. but I suspect the belt needs a little belt dressing or get a better quality one.

Old 01-27-2012 | 12:45 AM
macgollabhride
|
Professional

Hey Fellas, sorry for the delayed reply.
Sounds like I have the same problem that @jondakotaguy described.
@New 2 Dodge - I wish it was it was just a quick squeal.
Until it gets warmed up, that squeal it unrelenting and it takes A WHILE to go away/warm-up. I'll try the belt dressing first and hope for the best then go from there.
Thanks for the suggestions.
Wish me luck!

Old 02-02-2012 | 01:55 AM
Dakota Greg
Professional

Make sure you have a vacation day handy if you work. Thats the bitch squeal that started early winter here in Idaho and took out my water pump.

Its really loud at start, takes a good while to go away and only goes away when truck is warm right? I was hoping it was my belt, tensioner, idler pulley and I could wait. Nope the bearing or seal for the bearing in my water pump went.

How and when the failure might happen is dependent on how you drive. If you drive like me, like you stole it, then you are on borrowed time.

Heres my thread. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...g-problem.html

Old 02-03-2012 | 12:25 AM
macgollabhride
|
Professional

Originally Posted by Dakota Greg
Make sure you have a vacation day handy if you work. Thats the bitch squeal that started early winter here in Idaho and took out my water pump.

Its really loud at start, takes a good while to go away and only goes away when truck is warm right? I was hoping it was my belt, tensioner, idler pulley and I could wait. Nope the bearing or seal for the bearing in my water pump went.

How and when the failure might happen is dependent on how you drive. If you drive like me, like you stole it, then you are on borrowed time.

Heres my thread. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...g-problem.html
Exactly; When I cold-start my truck, it is LOUD but it does subside after it gets warmed up. I hope I'm not going to have a water pump repair in my future but I will take a look as soon as I can get my hood open: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...wont-open.html

I'll tell ya... just when I think I'm making progress/ checking off serious problems from the list... ugh.

Thanks for bringing the water pump situation to my attention.

Old 02-03-2012 | 01:10 AM
Dakota Greg
Professional

Originally Posted by macgollabhride
Exactly; When I cold-start my truck, it is LOUD but it does subside after it gets warmed up. I hope I'm not going to have a water pump repair in my future but I will take a look as soon as I can get my hood open: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...wont-open.html

I'll tell ya... just when I think I'm making progress/ checking off serious problems from the list... ugh.

Thanks for bringing the water pump situation to my attention.
Ya, Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Took a good while for the pump to go though. Like start of october the squeal started and took till the first weekend in december to get really bad then went and became a engine bay coolant sprayer.

I went through the belt, tensioner and idler pully trying to fix the noise and that happened. Of course when im almost home, hot rodding the truck and happen to be at 4200 to nearly 5k rpm i would guess, i was at WOT..... that is the daily treatment of this truck, keeps it nice and gunk free inside.

As for your hood, try removing the screws that hold the lever to the dash and just pull the whole thing back from the handle. If that doesnt work get a friend, pull the lever and just have him rip the hood up, your horns might become trash though. (Sorry but i would think you want a usable block instead of a electric horn.) If I were you relocate them to the left of the radiator, looks like theres room.

While im here, whats your headlights, how do you like them, hows the build quality, and can you give me a link to them? I hate the stock headlights. They arent effective at all.

Old 02-03-2012 | 05:32 AM
keg97
Amateur

I had the same problem. I installed a new tensioner and the belt was only 6 months old. I replaced the belt with a Good Year Gaterback and no more noise.

Old 02-06-2012 | 11:49 AM
Trent479
Veteran

Had the same problem as well! Replaced the belt even tho it was replaced last year when i got my truck! Problem solved

Quick Reply: Squealing under the hood since the cold weather came to town