2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Body Lift Q's

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 11:14 AM
sxrsil3nt
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Body Lift Q's

Hey guys,

So I'm thinking about buying a 3" body lift for the dak...

http://www.suspensionconnection.com/...con/60043.html

But before I buy it, I had Q's regarding ride quality.

With just a body lift will I be burning through tie rods and ball joints as opposed to doing a torsion bar crank?

I know our trucks arnt the best when it comes to ball joints and tie rods, but I don't wanna be constantly replacing them if I choose to go with a body lift.

It is a DD right now but I also use it down at my cottage where it's all dirt and gravel roads and some trails through the wooded areas, I would like a little extra clearance hehehe

Also, has anyone had their lift done in a shop? I certainly won't be doing it by myself in my garage. I've found lifts from $200-300 but does anyone know how much labour would be in a shop?

If it's gonna be like a $1500-2000 job I'm just gonna scrap it, but thought I'd ask anyway.

Thanks in advance guys!

Old 01-30-2012, 08:32 PM
hanleysh
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got a performance accessories lift off ebay for like 200$. Really not bad to install by yourself. And it will not affect your ride quality at all and the only added strain on your ball joints etc. will be from larger tires. Honestly look over the install instructions(was a downloadable set on the one I bought) before u decide to pay a shop to do it

Old 01-31-2012, 03:38 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Your ride will be no different than what it is now. All you are doing is replacing the stock body bushing with bigger ones. Many of us on here have done torsion bar cranks and havent had any problems. I have a little bit stiffer ride but it handles better if you ask me.

Old 01-31-2012, 03:49 PM
sxrsil3nt
Record Breaker

Thanks for the reply guys,

From what I've read here though is that when you crank the torsion bars you're more likely to go through tie rods and what not.

I would love a little extra lift but really don't want to be replacing parts more often than I should be.

I know suspension parts arn't too expensive but I'm trying to save on money right now. Just dropped money into new tires, water pump, balljoint and belt. Soon I'll need to replace the bearing because there is play.

Is the torsion bar crank fairly simple to do? I would attempt the body lift myself but I'm just not sure if I wanna touch the steering column or not. I probably have all the tools I need and I can always borrow some from my neighbour (restored a 71 Buick GS - absolutely beautiful car).

I'm also not sure if I wanna have my truck non-drivable for a weekend which is why I would get a shop to do it.

I'm just trying to gain as much input and advice as I can, if I attempt it myself it won't be until the spring/summer, but if its going to be too much of a hassle than I'd might as well get a shop to do it now if the price is right.

I appreciate all the help!

Old 01-31-2012, 04:15 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion

I've had mine done for a year and everything is still tight as can be. I offroad quite a bit too. Torsion bar can be cranked in 10 min but needs a alignment afterwards. All you need is a jack and socket set. Body lift can be done with basic tools. Pretty much sockets,screw drivers and jack. Few other misc tools but nothing special. If you have a buddy or 2 to help you out it will go quicker but pretty much a day to get it done.

Here is a ram install by a member over in the ram section, not everything is the same of coarse but its just so you get the jist of doing the lift.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHe0NxD545E

Old 01-31-2012, 05:21 PM
sxrsil3nt
Record Breaker

Thanks for the vid - couldn't help but laugh a bit here and there but overall good video.

Not sure about the block part though, like he said you have to weld that in there and I know my neighbour doesn't have a welder.

Old 01-31-2012, 05:25 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion

Im not sure about the weld part either since I never done one im sure you you can take to your local garage and they will throw a few tacks on there for 5 bucks or something. Its really just to hold the support in place if you could run a self tapper in there that would work too.

Old 01-31-2012, 11:35 PM
hanleysh
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There was no welding involved with my body lift...only thing to cut even was a little bit of the fan shroud(plastic) me and two buddies did mine in about 8-10 hours. I'm sure it could be done quicker....but we had fun and got a little drunk in the process

Quick Reply: Body Lift Q's