2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

"Grinding" noise from under the engine?

Old 02-02-2012, 09:16 PM
TheGrimRaper
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Grinding" noise from under the engine?

Hey guys.

I bought my 1998 Dodge Dakota in October, but unfortunately I cannot afford the gas that the 5.2L V8 likes to guzzle, so I'm selling it.

Long story short, there is a "grinding" noise coming from somewhere underneath the engine. It is pretty noticeable and I don't like it. When I bought the truck, I put $3000 of work into it, I payed $4500 for it.

The Mechanic said nothing of it, so either he didn't notice it or it is no big deal.

It is kind of gradual, on and off. I cannot pinpoint where it's coming from, but it sounds like it is in the engine, close to the bottom. Almost as if there was a rock in the oil pan.

I will take a video of it if you need it, but since it is so on and off it's hard to capture.

At idle its very noticabe, around 1200 RPM's, its the loudest. At a stop and slowly giving it gas, the noise speeds up then goes away. It happens while driving slowly in a a higher gear, say going 30 in third. (Truck is geared lower).

Here's my ad.

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ351480849

Thanks guys, any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 02-03-2012, 10:46 PM
RYCOMA79
Professional

I would say your water pump mine is making the same noise. Easy way to tell take off your fan belt start the motor if the noise is gone take off the fan and check for play in the pully

Old 02-04-2012, 10:42 AM
crateampsrock
Veteran

Being that its intermittent and dissapears with engine rpm... does it make a difference with A\C on or off?

Old 02-04-2012, 06:07 PM
TheGrimRaper

Originally Posted by RYCOMA79
I would say your water pump mine is making the same noise. Easy way to tell take off your fan belt start the motor if the noise is gone take off the fan and check for play in the pully
Wel, see its more to the rear of the engine, under neath or in the bottom of it. Aren't the water pumps more in the front?

Originally Posted by crateampsrock
Being that its intermittent and dissapears with engine rpm... does it make a difference with A\C on or off?
Haven't tried. Come to think of it, it may only do it with the heater on. It's been cold enough where I haven't needed A/C. I'll start it up tomorrow and see. If not when I head out Monday I'll try and grab a video of it.

Edit* I was just thinking, my truck shakes on and off in about 5 second intervals on the highway, and it kind of goes with the tone of the grinding noise. Like, you can't hear it but as often as it grinds it shakes going 80+. It's nothing bad, it just vibrates a little. It's not the diff, from what I can tell.

Last edited by TheGrimRaper; 02-04-2012 at 06:15 PM.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:31 PM
Rabid21
Veteran

Your sound seems alot like the that is plaguing my 93 Dakota.
I'm next to positive meaning me and my mechanic both believe its coming from my Cat Converter since its pretty beat up and the noise can be heard from my exhaust.

I'd guess it could be your cat or one of the spot welds on your exhaust heatshields could be broken also. That is another belief we have about my sound since theres nothing hinting about something being broken inside my engine.

Hopefully this helps

Old 02-04-2012, 07:09 PM
TheGrimRaper

Originally Posted by Rabid21
Your sound seems alot like the that is plaguing my 93 Dakota.
I'm next to positive meaning me and my mechanic both believe its coming from my Cat Converter since its pretty beat up and the noise can be heard from my exhaust.

I'd guess it could be your cat or one of the spot welds on your exhaust heatshields could be broken also. That is another belief we have about my sound since theres nothing hinting about something being broken inside my engine.

Hopefully this helps
Haha, this doesn't help me but it may help you, but I have no cat, it's true dual custom exhaust. One muffler. Loudest truck I've ever heard.

Anyways, it could be a weld since it is more under the passenger side where the pipes do bend. I'll check it out.

Thanks.

Old 02-05-2012, 04:57 PM
TheGrimRaper

Alright. Here's a video I took. Around 1:21 is when the noise is most distinct, but it can be heard throughout the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAyVN...1&feature=plcp

Noise is noticeable around these times:

0:35
0:40
0:55
1:00
1:11
1:14
1:18
1:21 (VERY NOTICEABLE FOR ABOUT 10 SECONDS)

Still can't tell if it's the exhaust or not. Headphones are recommended to hear the noise lol.

Old 02-06-2012, 02:26 PM
Rodester5
Amateur

Hi, just saw the vid clip, it sounds like a loose heat shield/bracket or broken weld. If I got the right noise, it dose not sound like it is coming from inside the engine.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:25 PM
Bolo1816phidelt

If I didn't know better I'd say the heat shield on the CAT. My truck made a similar noise, then I cut off my CAT and it was just the bracket. DURP.

Edit: Never mind, you have no CAT. Maybe brackets?

Last edited by Bolo1816phidelt; 02-06-2012 at 11:31 PM.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:56 AM
Ts610
Professional

Yup. That def sounds like an exhaust rattle somewhere. Heat shield. Might be able to tap on different areas of the exhaust and see if you can duplicate it with the truck off.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: "Grinding" noise from under the engine?