2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Efan issue?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 01:01 PM
dirtbiker
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Efan issue?

Hey guys,

Last night I went to steak n shake, and I decided I'd just hit the drive thru. I didn't realize how long it takes there, but at least they cook your burger. Anyways, as I was sitting there, I watched the engine temp needle go slightly higher, and slightly higher. Then it passed the right white line, and the check gages light came on. So, I killed the engine for a few minutes while waiting. And then once I started driving again, it cooled back off from the wind. My concern is... why didn't the efan kick in, or if it did, why didn't it cool it off? I mean it's like 30 here right now, I'm afraid to even imagine what a few minutes of traffic in the summer will do to it. Does anyone know how the efan is controlled? I had defrost on the lowest speed the whole time it was happening. Does the A/C maybe need to be on? I just drove it 400 miles last week, and the temp didn't get anywhere near the level it was at.

Anyways, I just wanted to get this figured out before it starts getting warmer so I don't have a problem. But I carry the clutch fan with me, just in case.

Thanks

Old 02-05-2012, 01:47 PM
McNasy
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

does the fan kick on when you put the a/c on? if not, your fan could be bad. my efan kicks on just above the half way point on the guage. also mine is on when the defrost is on and when the a/c is on. (because the a/c gets turned on when in the defrost setting, i hate that.)

Old 02-05-2012, 03:55 PM
dirtbiker
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So you're saying even if it's like 20 degrees out and I turn the A/C on, the efan should turn on? If so, it doesn't. I always figured it would only kick in once the engine hit a certain temperature, even if you had the A/C or defrost on. Thanks man

Quick Reply: Efan issue?