2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Bad wheel bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 06:48 PM
Zues2k
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad wheel bearing?

While driving, hearing a loud rubbing sort of noise while going to the right but quiet to the left. after some quick research I narrowed it down to the wheel bearing and looking at auto zone it looks like I would have to purchase the entire wheel assembly? What is the difference between the two types? some had wires and some did not. Any advice? Thanks.

Old 02-09-2012, 06:57 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Default with wires mean ABS brake sensors

With wires mean ABS brake sensors so find out if your Dakota has ABS on all 4 wheels or just rear ABS.

I don’t but I’m guessing if you look at your front brakes you can see the ABS wires coming from the caliper.

Remember when replacing a wheel hub get new locking nuts you can’t reuse the old nuts bad karma a no no unless you want the hub to come off on you at 75 on the freeway and flip end to end and land on your roof.

Old 02-09-2012, 06:58 PM
dolittle
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I replaced my right hub about two months ago. Jack up the front and wiggle the tires you should be able to tell which one is loose. Some people recommend replacing both.
The hub with wires is for all wheel anti lock brakes just look and see if the wires are on yours. I bought mine from rock auto they had the best price.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:15 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Quick Reply: Bad wheel bearing?