2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

2000 Dakota Dimmer switch turns dome light on

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 03:29 PM
rickself
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2000 Dakota Dimmer switch turns dome light on

Hi all - my 2000 Dakota Sport 2dr rwd has developed a problem with the dome light and the instrument panel dimmer switch. First of all, the dome light does not come on when the doors are opened. Then when I turn up the brightness on the instrument panel, the dome light comes on. I realize there is some sort of delay for the dome light to shut off but it's not happening. I just replaced the headlight/dimmer/dome light switch and it seems to act the same. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. My eyesight at night isn't the greatest and I'd like to see the instruments and not have the dome light come on. I know - easy fix would be to take out the dome light, but that doesn't fix the problem.
Thanks in advance for ANY help.

Last edited by rickself; 02-11-2012 at 03:32 PM.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:53 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

On my 2000 Dakota Sport, turning the panel lights to "bright" will turn on the dome lamp. That's normal. Just don't move it all the way up.

The central timer module works the lights when the doors are open. Does it work if you open the passenger door? All the door switches use the same ground on the RH side of the instrument panel. It may be easiest to pull one of the door switches and check to see if the black with light green tracer is grounded.

Old 02-11-2012, 07:02 PM
rickself
Veteran

Thanks for the reply, 00DakDan.
The dome light comes on at the very bottom, beginning of the turn, and stays on even at the top when it would normally click on.
I'll check the passenger door to see if it turns the light on. I'll also check the RH side of the instrument panel for ground.

Old 09-20-2013, 12:01 PM
rickself
Veteran
Default Revisit - Dome Light works - Mostly

To revisit my thread from a year ago, a lot has happened. After replaceing the headlight/dome switch, I replaced the CTM, followed by replacing the dome light unit itself. Then a couple of months ago, I had to replace the passenger side door, which came with the door latch/door ajar switch. My dome light now comes on when opening the passenger side door, it stays on and dims out like it should, plus I have full control of dimming my instrument panel lights. But when opening the driver side door, the dome light waits maybe 30 seconds to come on. I have had the negative cable to the battery off recently but not the positive. Is there a way to reset the CTM? Should I totally disconnect the battery for a period of time? My last resort would be to replace the door ajar switch now on the drivers side door.
I am just about to where everything is operating properly!

Quick Reply: 2000 Dakota Dimmer switch turns dome light on