2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

2006 Dodge MegaCab Cummins Diesel problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 09:34 AM
davefuhr
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Dodge MegaCab Cummins Diesel problem

I recently replaced the ECM and everything seemed to be working fine.
Now my "heat engine" light came on with sound alert like 10 times. Used my SuperChips to read code. P1222 came up. I cannot seem to find what this code means? I dad been getting P2509 so checked my batteries, recharged to 14.7DCV and everything worked fine until yesterday. REAL hard to start, so went ahead and replaced one battery (that is all they had in stock, will not get other one until next week). So on my way back to the farm, 20 miles away, is when the "heat engine" symbol came up. That is when I read and saw the code. Anyone know what is going on here?

Old 02-15-2012, 04:10 PM
Dakota Greg
Professional

Try cumminsforum, they are more likely to help you. This is for all dodges tho, soo repost or have this moved to the RAM section. This is the dakota section, aka the trucks little brother.

Old 02-15-2012, 05:14 PM
moparman_2004
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i would take a look at your glow plugs on it they do wear out and the heat engine light would go back to your glow plug system you may have 1 or 2 out most trucks wont start or have a hard start problem in 3 or more glow plugs are out

Old 02-15-2012, 05:53 PM
Dakota Greg
Professional

Originally Posted by moparman_2004
i would take a look at your glow plugs on it they do wear out and the heat engine light would go back to your glow plug system you may have 1 or 2 out most trucks wont start or have a hard start problem in 3 or more glow plugs are out
Please dont start with the glow plug topic. Cummins Never has and Never will as far as I know use glow plugs on the Cummins engines designated for pickups. AKA 5.9 & 6.7, They use a intake heater, but they are only used for starting and the first few min of running cold until the cylinder walls and piston are heated up so they dont take heat away from the compression.

We got 2 cummins at my house, the 98.5 is soon to be mine once I can get the money for it to buy it off my dad, and his 06 well its the nicest thing i know of in town.

Hard start ya your battery and maybe alternator or a wire is shot. Cummins will eat batteries. As for the heat problem go to cumminsforum.com and search in the 3rd gen section.

Quick Reply: 2006 Dodge MegaCab Cummins Diesel problem