2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Truck stalls immediately if I release the gas pedal

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 04:27 PM
herkulles
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck stalls immediately if I release the gas pedal

I have a 2000 V6 that will start up but if I don't keep the gas pedal down it stalls right away. I changed the IAC valve this morning and it fired up and ran great idling for about ten minutes. I turned off the truck and a few hours later it is now doing the same thing again. Also the check engine light came on while I was trying to keep it running. I can't drive it anywhere to get the engine code checked. Any ideas on what else to check or how to diagnose?

Old 02-18-2012, 04:34 PM
bwdakrt
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would think it's one of 2 things. Either you have a battery going south or a bad TPS sensor. Check the battery voltage and if it's 12v or less you have a cell going bad. A load test on the battery will determine it for sure. If the battery checks out OK then replace the TPS sensor.

Old 02-18-2012, 04:46 PM
sxrsil3nt
Record Breaker

I had my battery unplugged for one cold over night and when I put it back on the next morning the truck wouldn't hold idle. It would turn over but stall instantly if I didn't have my foot on it. I sat there for about 2 mins at about 1k-1.5k RPMs to let it relearn the idle and warm up and it was fine. You can try that.

Old 02-18-2012, 05:35 PM
McNasy
Veteran

turn the key on and off on and off on. leave the ignition on, it will put the code onto your odometer.

Old 02-18-2012, 05:40 PM
herkulles

Thanks for your ideas. I did have to jump my battery this morning. I will check the battery out tomorrow. I did just go out and took off the IAC valve and the truck fired up right away and stayed running without pressing the gas pedal. The IAC was definitely out all the way when I took it off. So i am guessing that it was stopping all air flow? Anything specific to check with the TPS or just have to try replacing it?
I did just check the code (thanks McNasy) it comes up as P 0505. Unfortunately I have to head out for the evening. I have to check further into it tomorrow. Thank again for your help

Last edited by herkulles; 02-18-2012 at 05:46 PM.
Old 02-19-2012, 03:48 AM
moparman_2004
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Idle speed control malfunction caused by iac valve throttle body or ECM according to my chart

Old 02-19-2012, 04:29 AM
bwdakrt
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by herkulles
Thanks for your ideas. I did have to jump my battery this morning. I will check the battery out tomorrow. I did just go out and took off the IAC valve and the truck fired up right away and stayed running without pressing the gas pedal. The IAC was definitely out all the way when I took it off. So i am guessing that it was stopping all air flow? Anything specific to check with the TPS or just have to try replacing it?
I did just check the code (thanks McNasy) it comes up as P 0505. Unfortunately I have to head out for the evening. I have to check further into it tomorrow. Thank again for your help
If this is the new IAC you just installed then you need to return and get another one and have your battery load tested.

Old 02-19-2012, 09:16 AM
chris1996
Veteran

i would check the front oxygen sensors mine do something similar make that my truck stall and lost all the power it cause that no fuel come to half the cylinders

Old 02-19-2012, 07:22 PM
herkulles

I did a little more research and found that I could adjust the pintle length on the new IAC valve. Once I shortened it the truck has been running fine and the engine code reset itself! Thanks for the info everyone.

Old 02-19-2012, 10:17 PM
gnelson49
Professional

Originally Posted by herkulles
I did a little more research and found that I could adjust the pintle length on the new IAC valve. Once I shortened it the truck has been running fine and the engine code reset itself! Thanks for the info everyone.
How did you do that? I have never heard of being able to adjust these? I have been having a lot of issues with my truck and replaced the IAC and still had problems, can you explain or send a link of how you adjusted it and where you got your IAC from??

Quick Reply: Truck stalls immediately if I release the gas pedal