2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Failed u-joint carnage...some help please?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 05:47 PM
Noah Mercy
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Failed u-joint carnage...some help please?

2003 Dak 4X4 Quad cab with the 4.7, 45RFE trans, and 244 transfer case (AWD). The front driveshaft does not have a CV joint...u-joints only.

Coming home Friday night I had to punch it after slowing down for the person in front of me pulling off the road (I was afraid the woman on her cell phone behind me was about to rear-end me). As the tranny shifted from first to second, there was a tremendous boom and horrible banging noise from under the truck.

After coasting to the shoulder, I tried to shift to "Park"...no go; the shifter went loose. I shut down and looked under to see what had happened. The front driveshaft u-joint next to the transfer case had grenaded. The shaft stayed trapped between the transmission crossmember and the floor and beat hell out of a bunch of stuff. I had my truck flat-bedded to my house.

I managed to bend the shift cable bracket back to where I could push the cable back in and get gears again. I also removed the yokes from the front axle and transfer case, so if I can fix the other problems I'll at least be able to drive around in 4Hi (albeit only in rear wheel drive) until I can get a new front driveshaft. I'm looking at a remanufactured Cardone unit for around $270.

Now the questions I have are these:

The hard fuel line inside the driver's side framerail that plugs into the braided line leading to the engine compartment is flattened and broke-a$$. Is that considered the front fuel line or rear? (I figure it would be much better to drop the tank and replace the whole line than try to scab in a repair section.)

The rear brake line is also kaput. What's the verdict...repair or replace it? If I'm going to have the tank out anyway, I figured it wouldn't be too big a hassle. And does anyone know if Dodge sells the complete pre-bent assembly or am I going to have to make my own?

I plan on replacing the rear u-joints while I'm under there. I usually use Spicer units, but does anyone have recommendations for stronger or more durable joints?

I sure appreciate any and all answers. With the weather blowing in right now, I 'spect I'm going to need my truck sooner rather than later...my Charger doesn't handle a foot of snow too well.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:45 AM
crateampsrock
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

usually, if its metal its the supply line, black plastic is vent or return... brake line, replace it, spicers work fine...

Old 02-27-2012, 12:16 PM
Noah Mercy

Thank ya', sir! That's pretty much what I figured, but it's always nice to have verification.

It's no fun running around like a

Old 02-27-2012, 12:33 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Default its amazing how few look under

It’s amazing how few look under their 4X4 it should be a one or two a year inspection of all power train parts a 4X4 needs way more care and maintenance than a standard two wheel truck.

It’s so important if the 4X4 is used in 4X4 or getting old to get these inspections done on a regular schedule.

Old 02-27-2012, 01:07 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Yup.. nothing like going out in some mud or w/e off road and something breaks because it was not Greeced or maintained properly.
Hell I went through and checked my Jeep every time I went out just to be safe; little overly cautious but its no fun getting stuck in the mud with a busted Axel or bearing or some shiz like that.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:14 PM
McNasy
Veteran

inspect all you want, when a part wants to let go it will. some are predictable and some....... not so much. i do find it strange you have u joints on both ends. do you happen to have a grease fitting on the propeller shaft? if so, its more than likely aftermarket.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:55 PM
Noah Mercy

Originally Posted by 98DAKAZ
It’s amazing how few look under their 4X4 it should be a one or two a year inspection of all power train parts a 4X4 needs way more care and maintenance than a standard two wheel truck.

It’s so important if the 4X4 is used in 4X4 or getting old to get these inspections done on a regular schedule.

Yeah, I should've looked it over (under?), but I just bought it a couple weeks ago and I've only been driving it on the pavement five miles each way to work. There's also ice, snow, and mud in the yard so I wasn't in a rush to grub around. Now I'm paying the price...literally!

Just ordered the two hard lines (brake and fuel) this morning. About $130 for the two. Add in the driveshaft and you're looking at four hundred reasons why 98Dak's advice is sound.

I'll be replacing the rear driveshaft U-joints in the next couple weeks, too, even though they look fine and have zero play. They're some generic units and I can throw some forged units in there for about $50. Keep 'em full of good synthetic grease and that's one less thing to worry about for boucoup miles.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:46 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Red face It happens to the best of us

It happens to the best of us, you just got it and with the weather all mucky I can see why you didn’t want to look under it.

As they say **** happens what can you do?

Quick Reply: Failed u-joint carnage...some help please?