2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Question re thermostat

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 02:29 PM
redeye562
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question re thermostat

I need some help. I had a water pump replaced on our 2003 Dakota (3.9 motor). There was a charge on the invoice for around $40 for replacing the thermostat (not including labour). WHen I questioned the charge I was told that " the system was leaking thru the thermostat". Since I had no temperature related issues with the vehicle at all I guess I am wondering why the thermostat needed changing. I don't understand how the thermostat leaks. I get that the gasket could be shot but does that entail replacing the entire thermostat? I just don't know enough about it. ANy information would be helpful.

Old 03-05-2012, 02:39 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

I'd agree with you.

It probably didn't need to be changed, a new gasket is probably all it needed.

While some may argue to change it while the system is drained, it's not that big of a deal to replace it on a 3.9. $40 is a lot to pay for it as well.

Talk to the shop. Did you authorize the repair? If not then they should have contacted you before hand. It may take some time for the mechanic to wait while you are contacted but that's what the service writers are for.

Old 03-05-2012, 03:42 PM
redeye562

Thanks. I thought it was probably just an extra charge but just didnt't know enough about it. Unfortunately it was a garage I have dealt with for 25+ years and unforutnately the service writer lied to me about another item on the bill so I won't be going back. I guess I just wanted to know how bad I got took. But like you say at worst they did it while the system was drained and presumbably the new thermostat should last a while. Thanks again for your help.

Old 03-05-2012, 04:41 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Default This is what happened

This is what happened it is probably done every pump replacement to warranty the new pump the $40 may include the labor.

Now I’m not sticking up for them this is just what they will probably tell you.

But it should have been included in the estimate or price they gave you if that is the case.

When I had my water pump replaced they called me and asked me to do it I said no.

One of the only times I let a shop do work on my truck it was the middle of summer 115 way too Hot to be doing that kind of work so I paid a shop.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:06 PM
Dodgeboy77
Veteran

I agree the shop should have asked you first. if it was me , i would never put a used thermostat back in. they can last for years or just days in my experience.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:23 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I agree they should have let you know the additional cost; or told you up front about the charges..

But I also agree most shops to warranty the work and part want to put a new stat in.

Like getting a fuel pump.. read the fine print; most places say for the warranty to be good you have to have proof you replaced the fuel filter too.

Quick Reply: Question re thermostat