2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Kota got a little make over

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012 | 10:16 PM
NickCornell
Veteran

What does your front bumper look like?

Old 03-07-2012 | 12:33 AM
ahsnowlover
Veteran

I plasti dipped my rims and love them, I have seen a few dakota's around here that look identical in paint color and they just have stock rims. It is pretty durable stuff too, I even did my emblems on my truck

Old 03-07-2012 | 07:30 AM
chris1996
Veteran

Wow looks awesome...!!

Old 03-07-2012 | 03:42 PM
dirtbiker
|
Captain

Originally Posted by NickCornell
What does your front bumper look like?
It used to be the graphite SXT color, then I had a little accident, replaced it with a black one, then someone backed into that and scratched it a little, so I made them pay... I had the body shop paint it Dark Garnet Red (Body color). And most recently, someone backed into it again, so it's cracked near the passenger side fog light void. Not really noticeable I guess, but makes me mad still.

IMAG0138-1.jpg

Now it's cracked near the passenger side fog lamp void. But it's not really noticeable I guess.

Last edited by dirtbiker; 03-07-2012 at 03:47 PM. Reason: Updated with better pic
Old 03-13-2012 | 12:46 PM
DaveChuck

Dirtbiker - how you like your bedlined rocker panels? Was it a spray on? I have a 1999 SLT White with grey rockers and it rusts like crazy here in Michigan. I was either thinking about putting bedliner on the rockers to protect rust areas better. Tho, would like them to be white, you know if they sell white bedliner, or if i could just black bedliner and paint it white after?

Also, rims look great. I am planning on doing mine with the new Plasti Dip Smoke!

Old 03-13-2012 | 07:58 PM
chris1996
Veteran

Originally Posted by DaveChuck
Dirtbiker - how you like your bedlined rocker panels? Was it a spray on? I have a 1999 SLT White with grey rockers and it rusts like crazy here in Michigan. I was either thinking about putting bedliner on the rockers to protect rust areas better. Tho, would like them to be white, you know if they sell white bedliner, or if i could just black bedliner and paint it white after?

Also, rims look great. I am planning on doing mine with the new Plasti Dip Smoke!
in my opinion black would look very cool

Old 03-13-2012 | 08:03 PM
dirtbiker
|
Captain

Originally Posted by DaveChuck

I love the bedliner along the side. I used spray on. I don't think they sell bedliner in white, but you could look. However, I think a white truck or any truck for that matter would look good with black bedliner along the bottom. Except maybe that gold or like purple. Your truck would look good I'm sure.

Old 03-13-2012 | 08:25 PM
DaveChuck

Cool. My trucks at stock height...and its a 2wd. So its a bit lower, I thought getting rid of the second color along the bottom would make it look less low and horizontal. We shall see tho.
Have any of you seen the new Plasti Dip color "Smoke" I might go for that on my rims.

Old 03-13-2012 | 08:40 PM
Dakmm
Professional

Wow man that stuff makes the rims look sick! I never heard of Plasti Dip. I was gonna buy black steel rims for my truck, but now I may give this a shot. I like the design of the stock alloys, but wanted black wheels.

I assume you have to clean them really well and rough them up with some sandpaper or something so the plasti dip will stick right?

Also is it made for wheels so it won't chip off or anything, or do you just have to touch them up every now and then?

Old 03-13-2012 | 09:09 PM
dirtbiker
|
Captain

Originally Posted by Dakmm
Wow man that stuff makes the rims look sick! I never heard of Plasti Dip. I was gonna buy black steel rims for my truck, but now I may give this a shot. I like the design of the stock alloys, but wanted black wheels.

I assume you have to clean them really well and rough them up with some sandpaper or something so the plasti dip will stick right?

Also is it made for wheels so it won't chip off or anything, or do you just have to touch them up every now and then?
Nah, I didn't sand them. Just clean em up real good with degreaser and let that evaporate then you're good to spray. As far as rock chips? I have no idea... But I'm sure they'll hold up fine. The stuff is actually made for tool handles, but the spray can lists "auto" as one of the uses. But no, I don't think it was "designed" for wheels.

Quick Reply: Kota got a little make over