2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

New guy/ New truck!

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 10:09 PM
dleonard1122
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy/ New truck!

Hey everyone. Name's Dylan, and I'm new to hear and new to owning a Dodge. Tomorrow I'm going to the dealership to pick up my first truck (owned a 4-door sedan before this ) and am really excited for it.

For reference, the truck I'm purchasing can be seen on the dealers website here:
http://www.vwofsalemcounty.com/Vehic...-NJ/1697955353

Was hoping someone could just look it over for me real quick and make sure there's nothing standing out that makes it a "bad buy." I did the kbb value for it and it looks like a real good purchase for the price.

Also, since I've had all day to sit and be giddy about getting this, I'm already thinking of what I want to do to it. I'm not trying to get ahead of myself but I already plan on putting a K&N air filter into it to improve mpg a little, and I like the way this truck looks in other pictures with running boards. I was hoping someone could refer me a good set of running boards to match the truck.

That's all for now, but I'm sure Ill have more questions as time goes on.

Old 03-07-2012, 02:21 PM
bpark8824
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like a nice truck will low miles. The 4.7 is a very dependable more and I think it's an overall good truck.

A K&N filter won't show noticeable gas mileage gains and certainly not enough to pay back the cost of the filter but if you want you can still put one in. You can just get the drop in filter or the entire air intake but they aren't cheap. Replacing the entire intake will make it sound a little better though. So do what you would like, just don't get your hopes about the gas. Whatever car you used to have should have certainly done better.

Nice truck though and welcome to the forum.

Old 03-07-2012, 03:51 PM
dleonard1122

Originally Posted by bpark8824
Looks like a nice truck will low miles. The 4.7 is a very dependable more and I think it's an overall good truck.

A K&N filter won't show noticeable gas mileage gains and certainly not enough to pay back the cost of the filter but if you want you can still put one in. You can just get the drop in filter or the entire air intake but they aren't cheap. Replacing the entire intake will make it sound a little better though. So do what you would like, just don't get your hopes about the gas. Whatever car you used to have should have certainly done better.

Nice truck though and welcome to the forum.
Thanks for the warm welcome. If you don't think I'll make my money back in the filter with gas then I probably won't go ahead and do it. Know of any good running boards to go with this truck though? I just drove the truck home and so far I love it.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:57 PM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats on the purchase man they are really great trucks. I ran mine hard the last 5 years and it has 172,000 miles on it now. I just got a car so its sitting more but still my baby. Anyways for the intake I would suggest just getting a straight piece of 3" ABS plastic or PVC a 3" male to female 90 degree elbow, and 2 3" rubber couplers with clamps and delete the air intake resonator. Try a search on here for 4.7 intake elbow pictures and if you can't find any or if someone doesn't post theirs first I'll try to take a pic of mine. It will make it sound better, flow smoother and be just as good as a filter. I had a K and N from my jeep that fit but I'm sure the difference is minor. Welcome aboard, lots of good info on here and good people that have been around still after 5 years on this board like me.

edit: I did this a little different...the way I explained but this is the general idea. http://home.comcast.net/~peebsrus/dak1.jpg

Last edited by TheePlaymaker; 03-07-2012 at 09:13 PM.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:13 PM
ebrperk
Rookie

Great Choice in Truck. I've had mine for about 9 months now and Its the best truck I have owned. The 4.7 seems to be very reliable, The stories on this forum about what some trucks go through and keep on going. This forum is very welcoming to newbies and is great source for information. Welcome

Old 03-07-2012, 11:18 PM
dleonard1122

Thanks guy, appreciate the help and welcoming. I seriously looked through every page of the sticky'ed thread on people posting pictures and started drooling eventually.

Still looking for a good set of nerf bars to go with the truck. If anyone knows of a good set that looks well with a quad cab SLT that is reasonably priced please let me know!

Old 03-07-2012, 11:21 PM
URBANRDNECK
Veteran
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Quad cab!!! Woot! Anyways Welcome to the forums!

Old 03-07-2012, 11:34 PM
dleonard1122

Originally Posted by URBANRDNECK
Quad cab!!! Woot! Anyways Welcome to the forums!
Wouldn't want it any other way! The back seat in this thing feels like it has as much room as a 2 row seating SUV. Love every inch of it.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:40 PM
URBANRDNECK
Veteran
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dleonard1122
Love every inch of it.
Thats what she said! Sorry I saw that I had just had to make that comment, I might be a tad bit immature..

Old 03-08-2012, 01:49 AM
moparman_2004
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2004's are always good in my book don't see many on here

Quick Reply: New guy/ New truck!