2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

CAI help MPG?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 01:33 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah there are already water seap holes.. that would allow extra pressure to escape.. or just make the holes bigger.. not trying to actually ram air or anything just to get absolute cooler air.. can't get any more cooler than that.. with out putting a air cooling system on it..

Old 03-09-2012, 01:46 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Talking worth a try

worth a try you can always put things back if it dosent work

Old 03-09-2012, 02:11 PM
UWAdventurer
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting guys. I have a K & N air filter in my stock air box so I wouldn't think I would be getting much resistance from that. You have me wondering about just running some PVC, hose, etc., to the stock inlet to get some cooler air to it. Thoughts on that?

Thanks for contributing everyone, keep it up!

Old 03-09-2012, 02:23 PM
DakMan6704
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a spare KN from a company that made a crappy kit...If I didnt buy the kit, I would have made my own.

Even when K&N publishes that you really dont get a HP gain, they still sell...yep, a sucker lol...but, I have 2 filters collecting dust...if I recall, you're kind of near me..

Old 03-09-2012, 02:36 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Exclamation I guess you

I guess you could connect a tube directly from the stock box to the front of the engine bay and to stop any air ram effect you could use a T on the end possibly negating any air ram effect that may happen.

My concern is this could cause an air ramming effect feeding directly from the front of the truck this could actually cause more problems that help.

Old 03-09-2012, 03:32 PM
bpark8824
Champion

Originally Posted by jondakotaguy
Yeah for real.. I notice on my 97 the direction the fan is spinning off all that heat is to the right side strait towards the inlet for the intake..

And Ive seen many times where that seems to be the hottest area under the hood other than right by the manifolds..

So unless you get the one with the special heat sheilds that seperate the filter from the rest of the engine compartment I do not see anything but a little better air flow response and sound; but your still sucking in hot air..

I think this is really the key of rather buying a cheap one vs buying a more expensive one. The deciding factor would be that.. and the ability to direct air from the outside directly into the filter area.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.. but this is my observations.. maybee if you could direct it to the left side of the truck besides the batter in that hollow area then you would pulling in truly colder air.. but not on the right with out the right dividers to separate and keep that hot air from getting to the filter..

But when i get back from NJ trip ill be gone on for 2 weeks I'm going to resume my inlet from the grill like I was going to do before.. but I'm just going to sue the stock Airbox.. I'm a 4x4 and i dont want to worry about water and junk soaking the filter..
Yeah I've seen the ones for Cobra Mustang's send the filter right into the hollow area between the engine bay and front fender. This is more of a "true" cold air intake. The air might be 80-100 degrees but it's not 200 degrees.

Old 03-09-2012, 04:33 PM
00daksport25
Veteran

A CAI only produces power on top end. MPG increases will be very minimal if at all. If you're looking for cooler air then make your own out of pvc and use intake heat wrap, this will help keep under hood heat from warming up the tubing. Then get a large cone filter, really doesn't matter what brand, and angle it slightly towards the side of the radiator. Cut/remove the rubber piece next to the radiator, like 98DAKAZ did. Now get some cheap sheet metal and make your own heat shield. Make sure to heat wrap the shield also. Bam, instant cooler air. I did all that with my 2.5 and I felt a big difference in response and top end power. I put a temp recorder in the intake tube and drove around for about an hour and it was pulling 76.9-91.6 degree air.

Old 03-09-2012, 04:34 PM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My personal preference...not just because it's what I have but because it saves you lots of money. This is on a 4.7 V8 with a K&N filter in the box (would have a cheap filter but the K&N from my 4.0 Jeep fit)
Mine was like this...I think they come stock with rubber in the way or something though.
DSC_0022.jpg
removed the elbow thing and also cut a hole in the side of the box opposite of the engine.
DSC_0023.jpg
DSC_0021.jpg

Last edited by TheePlaymaker; 03-09-2012 at 04:36 PM.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:35 PM
fhadso
Veteran

Just buy a cheap eBay brand CAI. Don't get the short ram as the heat from the engine is closer. Get the longer pipe.

Old 03-09-2012, 07:16 PM
UWAdventurer
Veteran

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_2682wt_952

This is the one I was looking at. I assume it is the short one?