2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

CAI help MPG?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 11:30 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I got a cheap ebay granatelli intake for 38.00 shipped weird part is on other sites they sell for 200.00 It looks just like a k&n only it has a bigger tube. For what I paid I couldnt be happier. I gained like 1 maybe 2 mpg better throttle response. As for getting the heat shield your not gonna see a noticable different and actually having your filter on top of your engine is worse than a open one without a filter(remember hot air raises) Plus all you need to do is remove the rubber piece on the passenger side of the rad and you will get enough fresh air into the engine bay.

Old 03-10-2012, 02:56 AM
moparman_2004
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wouldn't that be the same as a ram air setup forcing alot of air into the engine ?? Too much air isn't bad just like a supercharger forcing more air
Originally Posted by 98DAKAZ
Only thing I would worry about with doing that is way too much air pressure with it getting direct air like that now if you could make some kind of air pass-through like some kind of tube that would let air in the front and then out the back thus no high air pressure and then the throttle body feeding off of this air passage.

My Dak being the 2.5 dosent have any exaust on that side of the engine

Old 03-10-2012, 09:20 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Unhappy Computer

My concern is the computer being able to handle such a change they were not designed for such a thing the sensors may not interpret what is happening correctly that’s my concern.

Old 03-10-2012, 01:09 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 98DAKAZ

My Dak being the 2.5 dosent have any exaust on that side of the engine
I would seriously get that fixed!!!

Old 03-10-2012, 01:35 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm sure cutting that flap will allow more air to come in and maybe drop temps but if your really wanting to do it right and get some actual gains out of it.. I would say you need to get your air directly from outside the engine compartment... and keep the air as cool as possible to the engine.

You need that air coming through that hole to be directed around the filter and keep the hot air being spun off the fan to that side of the truck from even getting around the filter to be sucked into the engine.

You can surly go buy some material from the hardware store and build a divider your self..

But seriously run your motor and get it nice and hot.. and go take a temp reading on the right side vs the left.. like on my truck granted its a 97 and a 318; which run a little hotter than the alm. blocked some are running; my right side gets hott as hell; hotter than the top of the engine. I bet you anything if i open that up I might see a reduction a little but it's still hotter air mixing with the cooler air.. a wall or heat shield is not being used to separate the filter/inlet from the rest of the engine bay.

If you look at high performance setups that really have it done right you'll see they are pulling air directly from outside; like the cobra that was mentioned or trans am.. they are not mixing air.. like what's being discussed here..

At the end of the day; If your going to put time and effort and money into it.. do it so that you get max benefit out of it. You want the coldest air possible... not somewhere in between.

Old 03-10-2012, 05:01 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Talking I agree make a custom air box

I agree make a custom air box this wouldn’t be all that hard to do I’m good at fabrication and I have a metal supply shop nearby with any size and thickness of aluminum out there.

I will start thinking this through not sure when I will get it done.

Old 03-10-2012, 05:54 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Default dodgeramguy85

dodgeramguy85

I’m looking into another Dakota with the V8 or a Ram 1500.

I don’t want to spend a ton of time swapping out engines just repairing them too much hassle swapping engines for me.

Did that with my Brother and his Jeep custom engine mounts and all that fun but not in to it anymore.

Old 03-10-2012, 08:07 PM
fhadso
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No. That's the longer pipe. That's actually the same one I have. I highly recommend it.

Old 03-11-2012, 01:05 AM
MoparMan1991
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just make one out of PVC and call it a day. Who cares if it isn't pretty, it's not about the look, it's about the functionality.

Old 03-11-2012, 04:01 PM
UWAdventurer
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is another one on Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-97-03-DO...#ht_5169wt_952

Any thoughts on whether this one or the previous one I had listed would be better? Looks like a different pipe configuration.

Thanks everyone.