2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Need to know how to change an oil pump

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 10:21 PM
Patricia Rowbotham
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need to know how to change an oil pump

Could someone please tell me how to change the oil pump on a 3.9L 4x4 2002 dodge dakota sxt? And how long it might take.. I know I need new oil, the oil pan gasket, and the oil pump.

Old 03-19-2012, 11:50 PM
moe7404
Record Breaker

i dont much about changing the pump, but DO put grease in the pump so it pulls oil at start up.

Old 03-20-2012, 11:03 AM
crateampsrock
Veteran

labor book time is 5.4 hours.

raise vehicle, drain oil, remove dipstick, remove exhaust assembly, remove left engine to transmission strut, loosen right side engine support bracket cushion through bolt-nut and raise engine slightly, remove oil pan by sliding it backward and out, remove one peice gasket (which they say is re-usable...goodluck with that)...then remove oil pump from rear main bearing cap.

Good luck to you. Be glad you dont have the 4.7, I just rebuilt my motor, and to replace the oil pump on that you have to remove all the timing chains and sprockets, which includes removing valve cover gaskets and removing the sprockets off the cams...

and moe is 100% correct. When you do get the new pump ready to put in, pack it full of either engine assembly lube (my preference) or ive seen some people that use vasoline cause it will disolve into motor oil. You'll pull the plugs out of the motor and turn it over until you get oil pressure. Replace plugs and start...

Old 03-20-2012, 01:10 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Default what cost from a shop $650?

what cost from a shop $650?

Thats a shocker.

Why is a new pump needed?

Are you sure its bad?

Old 03-20-2012, 02:16 PM
5hundo
Professional

Originally Posted by 98DAKAZ
what cost from a shop $650?

Thats a shocker.

Why is a new pump needed?

Are you sure its bad?
+1

Considering what they do, those parts wear out very slowly. Unless your oil became contaminated and prematurely wore out the pump, I am skeptical that this is the problem. Even with oil contamination you'd expect the bearings and/or rings to "shell out" first.

Old 03-20-2012, 04:43 PM
crateampsrock
Veteran

Im sure a shop would charge more. They have mark-up on the pump itself, plus a slight markup on labor. Also they will probably want to go ahead and replace the oil pan gasket. Id say a safe shop est. would be closer to around $800

Quick Reply: Need to know how to change an oil pump