2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

"no bus" heads up!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 08:26 PM
Jrgood1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "no bus" heads up!

I recently bought a 99' dodge dakota 5.2l 4x4. I love the truck, but once the temp. got warmer here it started cutting off after being run for a while. The odometer would display "no bus". I now know that means the computer isn't communicating properly. I read online 100 different fixes for the problem. luckily for me the truck had a bit of a warranty so I took it to a shop. Two different times a part was replaced. neither worked. I took it to a much better shop and they found a bulletin about it. The wires behind the cluster can rub causing problems with the computer. I didn't know if anyone else had the problem and wanted to put that out there.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:09 PM
UWAdventurer
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the info.

Old 03-22-2012, 01:15 AM
Dakota Greg
Professional

That explains alot of my problems I had a while ago, soo the wires are behind the dash im guessing? Sounds like ill put it off till I go for a heater core replacement.

Old 03-22-2012, 05:09 PM
Jrgood1

I will update when I get the truck back, but I'm guessing the wires are right behind the gauge cluster/ running to it. The "kit" as they called had to be ordered. The way they explained it so far is they loosened the cluster, started the truck, pulled on the wires and that caused the problem quickly.

Quick Reply: "no bus" heads up!