2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Vacuum problems?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 05:14 PM
Frank1lee
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vacuum problems?

Hey there guys, I've maybe had my 2000 dak for about 2 months now, and it has just started to act a little funny. The rpms would drop right after I would let go of the gas, and the idle would sometimes shake a bit. I replaced the IAC motor, which wasnt the problem. Sprayed some cleaner in the throttlebody, and that helped a bit, but it still seems to have act weird. I cant pick up any hissing from underneath that would help me locate a leak. Its not the pvc because Im not leaking oil, and I've checked all my lines. Any tips as to where I can check next?

Old 03-22-2012, 07:42 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Take the throttle body off and clean it. Just spraying it won't do. You'll be amazed at the cr*p that accumulates especially in the IAC passages.

Take the IAC off, you can leave the TPS on. Clean all the passages out by blasting them well with carb cleaner, let them soak a minute, then hit them with compressed air. Wipe down the IAC, gently, don't twist the shaft. Double check the IAC passages as that's where the heavy junk usually is.

An old toothbrush can help with some of the scrubbing and maybe some q-tips.

It's a fairly common problem.

Quick Reply: Vacuum problems?