2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

03 Dakota A/C & Heat issues no fan!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 09:33 AM
ibcnul8r
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by USFMD82
Thanks for the insight everyone, now this has taken a weird turn. starting on the way home last night the fan began working again (still every setting except high). But it will go for a few minutes then sort of stall 2 seconds later start back up again. This happened both while I was stopped completely and while moving so I don't believe it has to do with movement.

This morning same story started up, no air about 10 minutes after driving the air started up again and would go in and out working for about 5 min or so stall for about 2 seconds then go again for about 5 min.

Another thing the time difference between this issue starting and the prior issue (all fan setting except high was a good 10 months or so.

Does this new information assist anyone in making a different diagnosis. I just don't want to replace something that may not need replacing.

Yes. Replace them BOTH (the fan AND the resistor). Sounds like it's trying to work harder than it should. And that's not a good thing. I would do it soon, before something (might) burn up.

Again....my two cents.

Old 03-29-2012, 11:43 AM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like your connector is loose. Same thing was happening on my grand cherokee. I would wiggle the connector and it would turn on and off. These connectors like to melt so I wouldnt be surprised that it isnt making good contact like it used to.

Old 03-29-2012, 12:04 PM
USFMD82

OK So where would I find the connectors at? I have to remove the dash I am assuming and just wiggle things around? Ill check that first since it would be free to fix.

If I replace both the Resistor and the fan, what am I looking at time wise and price wise, i saw the resistor is about an hour fix and around $20.. no idea on the fan.

Old 03-29-2012, 12:41 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Under the glove compartment look around for the wiring harness(I never messed with the dakota so not sure where its at) But should be able to see it clearly. Unclip it and see if it is melted or anything. A blower motor and resistor is gonna run you about 100-150.00(depending where you get it from)

Old 03-29-2012, 12:50 PM
5hundo
Professional

I just had this problem and fixed it a couple weeks ago.

In my case, I blew the resistor and replaced it. That fixed it for a few months until I fried the wiring harness and the new resistor. After a while, the blower motor starts to wear out and increases the electical load going through the harness. Carfully inspect the condition of your harness at the resistor and if it's fried, you're going to need a new blower motor, a new harness and a new resistor.

I would recommend buying all new parts for this, as it is a failing common and anything you pulled from a junkyard could be subject to the same fault.

Old 03-29-2012, 12:50 PM
copperleaf

Both the motor and resistor are on the right side just under the glove compartment. I installed the new resistor in 2 minutes in the dealer parking lot (held in by two screws). The motor is held in by three screws. The front two are easy to get to. The third takes an offset wrench or something to get to it, but isn't bad. The motor just drops out. Easy DIY repair.

Old 03-29-2012, 01:08 PM
5hundo
Professional

Originally Posted by copperleaf
Both the motor and resistor are on the right side just under the glove compartment. I installed the new resistor in 2 minutes in the dealer parking lot (held in by two screws). The motor is held in by three screws. The front two are easy to get to. The third takes an offset wrench or something to get to it, but isn't bad. The motor just drops out. Easy DIY repair.
+1

Just to "piggyback" on this point, it get's a little harder if you have to replace the harness, but not much. You're going to have to bust out your soldering iron for that one...

...or use a bunch of butt connectors and electrical tape, if you're into that kind of thing.

Old 03-29-2012, 01:24 PM
00daksport25
Veteran

Sounds like a loose connection or the motor is probably starting to give out. Check the connections and if possible try and check the amp draw as well. To save future headaches just replace the motor, resistor, and the connector.

Quick Reply: 03 Dakota A/C & Heat issues no fan!