2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Best shocks for lifted dakota?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 12:00 PM
Brian_
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

truck is is shop getting inspected since i failed at the stealership with 1 inch spacers, this guy is gonna sneak me a sticker. but yeah i think im just gonna lower the front and pray i dont rub anymore.

and yeah dakcc my camber is at max, so going lower i should be able to get the camber to the right degrees at the alignment shop so my tire wear isnt horrible.

moral of the story, lift kits are a nightmare and reindexed keys are a joke when the seller doesn't mention the other effects that happen when raising height in the front.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:37 AM
DakCC4x4
Veteran
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

You could always get a 2-3in body lift(2inch being less involved) if you are having a time with clearing the tires. They are pretty cheap and can be done in a few hours with a little help and does not effect the suspension geometry at all.

Old 04-06-2012, 12:58 PM
Brian_
Captain

clearance is fine my problem is with hitting bump stops up front with the frame being pushed up so much from the torsion bars.

Old 04-06-2012, 05:56 PM
DakCC4x4
Veteran

Clarify?

Old 04-06-2012, 11:28 PM
Brian_
Captain

topic was originally about getting longer shocks for front until i was told that nothing changed up front except with the uca getting pushed down from cranking the tbars hence frame rising. problem is im hitting bump stop and didn't want to lower it to risk rubbing the frame rail again even though spacers did solve it. so my new question was to chop off bump stops but i was told that would create more problems. so my plans are to just unloosen my torsion keys by about .5 to .75 of a inch and hope i get 1/4 clearance with bump stops. which means spending $75 on a new dang alignment... although i think it will be worth it to have a caddy ride instead of my non suspension logging truck.

Old 04-09-2012, 06:10 PM
Muddking
Amateur

Originally Posted by Brian_
truck is is shop getting inspected since i failed at the stealership with 1 inch spacers, this guy is gonna sneak me a sticker. but yeah i think im just gonna lower the front and pray i dont rub anymore.

and yeah dakcc my camber is at max, so going lower i should be able to get the camber to the right degrees at the alignment shop so my tire wear isnt horrible.

moral of the story, lift kits are a nightmare and reindexed keys are a joke when the seller doesn't mention the other effects that happen when raising height in the front.
Besides you are hitting the bump stops because you cranked them to the max what else are you having issues with related to the torsion lift?
I need shocks and going to put new keys in at the same time.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:51 AM
DakCC4x4
Veteran

The keys only give you more adjustment then the stock keys without having to be reindexed. There is always a limiting factor to these lifts being the bumpstops. They are there so as to keep all of the front end components within their designed range of motion.(i.e. ball joints, cv shafts, etc.) I really have grown to not like these types of lift as they usually cause more problems than they are worth.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:58 AM
DakCC4x4
Veteran

Originally Posted by Brian_
topic was originally about getting longer shocks for front until i was told that nothing changed up front except with the uca getting pushed down from cranking the tbars hence frame rising. problem is im hitting bump stop and didn't want to lower it to risk rubbing the frame rail again even though spacers did solve it. so my new question was to chop off bump stops but i was told that would create more problems. so my plans are to just unloosen my torsion keys by about .5 to .75 of a inch and hope i get 1/4 clearance with bump stops. which means spending $75 on a new dang alignment... although i think it will be worth it to have a caddy ride instead of my non suspension logging truck.
I didnt realize it was hitting the frame. Mine dont even get close to doing that.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:02 AM
Brian_
Captain

so yeah companies are deceiving when not mentioning the cons such as bump stops etc, things you wouldn't think of off the top of your head. just have to wait for one of my days off so i can lower the front end a bit to get it off of bump stop then get a alignment, how much of a gap should i leave, 1/4 inch? will lowering only affect camber or everything else?

Old 04-11-2012, 09:15 AM
DakCC4x4
Veteran

It should only affect camber. It may not be off enough to matter but you should be able to tell it pretty easily after you do it. Make sure that after you adjust them that you ride a day or so and let it settle so before you do the alignment. Otherwise it will settle in a day or so and throw the fresh alignment off. Or you can just go over a few speed bumps and curbs to speed up the settling process lol.

Quick Reply: Best shocks for lifted dakota?